rules (tyler)

pairing: tyler joseph x reader
word count: 1170
tw: tiny mention of underage drinking, profanity, some angst, mention of a panic attack

a/n: this is loosely based off of the kissing booth :)

"that's cheating!" zack complained. i had just scored a basket. he accused me of cheating even though i won, fair and square.

"just face it, zack. you're a sore loser. we both know i won that fair and square." i replied. he rolled his eyes and took the ball.

"if you say so." he said. i pushed him playfully. just then, his brother tyler appeared.

"mind if i join?" he asked. i fought the urge to blush. i always had the hugest crush on him but i wasn't allowed to do anything about it.

well, it's not like i physically couldn't. it had to due with mine and zack's rules. the main one was that i couldn't go for tyler. if i did, it would cost me our friendship. i didn't know why he established that rule. i just went with it.

"actually we were just finishing up. besides, you're way too much of an ass when it comes to basketball." zack said to his brother.

"am not. i'm just competitive. after all, i am captain of the basketball team." tyler bragged. zack rolled his eyes.

"yeah, yeah, we know. you say it every day." he said. tyler shrugged.

"oops." he replied, carelessly. zack and i walked away. we went into the house and headed to the kitchen for food.

i grabbed and apple and zack had some chips.

"tyler and i are throwing a party tonight. you staying?" he asked. i nodded.

"yeah. i'll just say i'm staying the night here. since i technically am. i'll just leave out the fact that there's a party." i replied. our mom's had been best friends since they were teenagers so they always loved that we were best friends. not like we had much of a choice, growing up together.

"sick." he said. i smiled.

once i finished eating, i threw my apple core away and helped zack and tyler set up for the party.

had i only known what was in store for that night.

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

"here." zack said, handing me a cup. "don't worry, it's just coke."

"thanks." i thanked him. i took a sip and, surely enough, it was only coke. i knew tyler and his friends would be drinking alcohol. even though we were all underage, tyler was 18. zack and i were 17.

"so where are your parents supposed to be?" i asked zack. they only threw parties when their parents were away.

"they're taking maddy and jay to this thing they really wanted to go to. it's in cincinnati so they said they'll be gone for a couple days. we had the choice to go but why do that when you get do this." he informed me. i nodded.

just then, one of tyler's friends fell into the pool. he was clearly too drunk for his own good. zack and i died of laughter.

"i think he had a bit too much." i commented.

"i think so too." zack agreed. we continued laughing for a few moments before i realized i had to use the bathroom.

"okay, i gotta use the facilities." i announced.

i walked back up to the house and went inside. there was people everywhere. i headed upstairs and used the bathroom. people were yelling at me to hurry up when i barely took a minute.

i walked down the hallway to go back outside when i heard crying. i felt bad, so i decided to figure out where it was coming from. i wanted to make sure whoever it was, was okay.

i found out it was coming from tyler's room. i knocked on the door.

"occupied!" he yelled.

"no, it's me. (y/n)." i replied.

"oh- uhm you can come in." he told me.

i walked in and tyler was sitting on his bed. his face was tear stained and he was rubbing his legs, anxiously.

"are you okay?" i asked him. he shrugged.

"i'm fine. what makes you ask?" he replied.

"i heard you crying." i admitted. he shook his head.

"it was just a panic attack. nothing to worry about." he assured me.

"i was just making sure because i care about you." i told him. i realized what i said and mentally face palmed. but then i added: "because you're zack's brother and i've known you forever."

"you know, you don't have to add that at the end. i know you like me, but it's okay because i feel the same about you." tyler said, boldly. i blushed profusely. i couldn't help it. i shook my head. i didn't want to ruin my friendship with zack.

"tyler, i think you're drunk." i stated. he shook his head.

"no. i don't drink." he told me. of course he didn't. "i get the kegs for my friends."

"oh." i replied. tyler got closer to me and butterflies flooded my stomach. what was he doing to me?

"i meant what i said. i've wanted to tell you how i felt forever but i didn't want zack to be on my ass." he told me.

"he'll be on mine to so.." i took a shaky breath. "we really sh-shouldn't."

"just tell me you feel the same, so i know i'm not crazy." tyler said.

"i do..we just can't." i replied truthfully.

i was unaware of how close we were until we leaned in and kissed each other. it was just like how i had thought it would be. i practically melted into him. i wasn't thinking about anything but him. especially not-

"nice. just nice." tyler and i pulled away and saw zack at the door. "'going to the bathroom' my ass. should've known you've been screwing my brother."

zack walked away immediately after he saw us. i ran after him. i knew i messed up. i never should have kissed tyler.

"zack, wait!" i called. it was hard catching up to him. but i had to. our friendship meant more to me than anything that existed.

eventually, i was able to grab his arm and stop him.

"how long, (y/n)?" he asked.

"we just kissed. just that one time. i promise." i told him.

"you don't get it do you? all my life, tyler has gotten what he wants. everything. except you. but now he has you too. you don't get how that feels, do you?" zack said.

"i'm sorry! i can't help that i have feelings for him. i don't get why i can't be your best friend and be with him at the same time. i'm not going to just leave you. i wouldn't." i told him. he shook his head.

"that's another things you don't get (y/n)." he said. i looked at him confused.

"what? what do i not get, zack?" i asked.

"i'm in love with you."

a/n: part two?