money doesn't matter (josh)

pairing: josh dun x reader
word count: 1125
tw: a little angst and self doubt

a/n: as much as i enjoyed making the jebby and jyler fics, i'm sticking to josh x reader and tyler x reader now. <3

(y/n) gracefully walked towards my car. she was wearing a black dress that ended just above her knee and shoved off her curves perfectly. she also wore black stilettos and a diamond necklace her father gave her. i was taken back by her beauty, as i usually was. it seemed impossible for her to love me the way i loved her. but she did.

"hello, josh." she greeted me. she kissed my cheek and got buckled. my stomach did flips.

i was going to meet her parents.

her family was very different from mine. i lived in a nice comforting family. we weren't poor but we weren't exactly rich.

(y/n)'s family on the other hand was filthy rich. she always told me stories about how she raised herself because her parents were barely around. it made me feel bad.

but i gave her the love she deserved. because i did love her. i just feared her dad would think i'm after the money.

and i wasn't. i had a band with my best friend. we weren't popular, but i knew we would get there someday. we just had to keep our spirits high.

"hey, gorgeous!" i replied, kissing her cheek. she blushed a bit and plugged her phone into my aux cord. i began driving again.

she played ode to sleep. that was a song tyler and i did. one of our best, we had agreed. (y/n) agreed too. she was extremely supportive of us both.

as we both listened, (y/n) drummed with her hands. i thought it was cute. she even kept exact beat with her hands. as if she wasn't even paying attention to the lyrics.

"what are you doing?" i asked curiously. she smirked.

"i'm air dunning." she punned. i laughed aloud. that was the best thing i had heard.

"haha, i love that." i told her.

(y/n) began to give me directions towards her parent's home. being around her, my nervousness faded. maybe her parents wouldn't mind that i didn't have a lot of money.

but once i saw the house, my stomach knotted again. it was huge and beautiful. there was a pool and a sparkling black lamborghini parked out front. all i had was a red volvo.

"i know you just be terrified. but don't worry. my mom will love you." (y/n) assured me. most of my nervousness stayed as i realized she didn't say her dad too. i wondered if she did that on purpose.

i parked and got out of the car. i opened her door for her and took her hand. i walked her to the front door and we knocked.

the door opened and we were greeted by a man with grey hair and features much like (y/n). he seemed grumpy. i held out my shaky hand for him to shake.

"hello, sir. my name is josh. i am your daughter's boyfriend." i introduced myself. the man took my hand and shook it. his grip was tight.

"i am robert. but you may call me mr. (l/n) or sir." mr. (l/n) told me. he moved out if the way of the door and allowed us in. when we got in the house (which of course was gorgeous) we were greeted by a woman who could only be (y/n)'s mom. she came up to us with a warm smile.

"you just be josh!" she greeted us warmly. "i'm (y/n)'s mom, you can call me tara."

tara hugged me and then hugged (y/n). i easily felt welcomed by (y/n)'s mom. but i still felt uneasy by her father.

"dinner is ready." mr. (l/n) announced. we made our way to the fancy dinner table. i sat by (y/n) and her parents sat by one another.

it was quiet. i kept it that way, considering i had no idea what to say.

"so josh, what do you do for a living?" mr. (l/n) asked me.

"i have a band with my friend tyler, sir." i replied. mr. (l/n) looked up from his plate.

"you are the singer?" he questioned.

"no, sir. i am the drummer. we just released our third album." i told him. he rolled his eyes, making the knot in my stomach worsen.

"drummers are not that important. they don't make nearly as much as the singers. how will you ever support our daughter?" he asked sternly.

"dad! that's so unfair, they make the same amount!" (y/n) nearly yelled.

"(y/n)." her mother said calmly.

"we do make the same amount, sir. i can fully support (y/n)." i told mr. (l/n) confidently.

"well then you don't make much. just look at you." the man said, disgusted. just then, tara spoke up.

"robert that's enough. the boy is clearly not after the money like you suspected. we know that's all you care about." tara said to the man. mr. (l/n) stood up.

"i will not be criticized by you, tara. you know nothing of what i want to know." he spit. he faced (y/n). "if you ever want to be back here again, do not bring this boy. he's not enough for you. you've done so much better, even in highschool."

i felt a lump form in my throat. i knew deep down i wasn't enough. but that didn't stop (y/n) for speaking up.

"father you are being completely outrageous! i love josh. and if you can't accept that, i just won't come back." she told her father.

"no, honey. please we just got you back-"

"no, mom. neither of you were there for my childhood. i raised myself. josh has never once made me doubt myself like the two of you have. he loves me for me. he sees pass the money." (y/n) interrupted her mother. tara sat down.

"josh we're leaving. now." she decided. instead of arguing, i followed her. i felt bad for leaving her mom. her mother meant no harm to me. it was just her father.

i should have known that night would not end peaceful.

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

as the years passed, mine and tyler's band grew in popularity. when we got big in the industry, her father was shocked. he immediately tried apologizing to get (y/n) and i back to talking with him. but we didn't.

because if he actually cared and saw passed money, he would've been fine with me in the first place.