neon lights (jebby)

Pairing: jebby
Word Count: 643
TW: intoxication

I downed my third shot. Tyler looked at me, his face full of confusion.

"Dude, are you good? You barely drink, what's on your mind?" He asked. I just shrugged.

"What do you think is on my mind? What's the whole reason we came here?" I replied. Tyler's faced turned apologetic.

I couldn't stop thinking about her.

It was supposed to be mine and Debby's two year anniversary as a couple.

Drinking helped me stop thinking about her. Even though I despised the taste of alcohol.

"Hey, could I get two more shots?" I asked the bartender. He nodded and Tyler scoffed.

"You're actually going to drink away your feelings?" He asked. I raised an eyebrow.

"You gotta better idea, Einstein?" I shot back. Tyler held his hands up as if he were being arrested.

"Wow. I'm supposed to be the sassy one, jeez. Oh look there's Jenna. You good?" He said. I nodded.

I missed Debby so much. She never told me the reason she dumped me. She just took her things and..left.

The worst part about it, was I was going to propose.

I thought about Tyler and Jenna. They were happily married and would soon be trying for a child. I saw them as lucky. I had Jim but, I really wanted a mini me.

I downed the two shots and that's when I saw her.

She was dancing in the neon lights. Alone.

I was nearly sure I was hallucinating. What would be the chances of her showing up to this club of all clubs. Hallucinating or not, I began to walk towards her.

I was bit drunk, to say the least.

"Josh! I missed you!" She said when she noticed me. I could tell she was drunk. We both were.

"Then why'd you leave? Debby, I love you." I replied. She took my arms and started dancing with me.

"I don't know why I did I waspanicking." Debby told me, quickly.

"But, you love me?" I asked. We were still dancing.

"Very much. I can't get you out of my head." She admitted. I smiled.

"I haven't had much luck getting you out of mine, either." I replied. Just then, Dance, Dance by Fall Out Boy started playing.

"Come on, Josh! Let's dance!" Debby said, pulling me towards the front of the dance floor. I didn't like big crowds, but I let it go. I was with Debby, and that's what mattered to me.

"Dance, Dance. Falling apart to half-time." We sang. Debby and I were having so much fun we forgot about everything.

We tuned out the world and our problems. We just danced to the music, in the neon lights. We didn't care that we were split. We didn't care that this was the first time we seen each other in two months. Nothing mattered in that moment but each other.

I didn't think about what was to come. I didn't think about our relationship. What we were. How badly it would hurt if we ended up staying broken up.

All I payed attention to, was the star in front of me with a beaming smile and flowing platinum hair.

We danced until nearly midnight when she stopped abruptly.

"Josh, I-I have to go." She said. I frowned.

"No, wait-"

"I'm sorry. I love you." Debby interrupted me. She kissed me in the cheek while I stood in the middle of the dance floor.

Then, she disappeared into the darker part of the room. I had no idea if I'd see her again.

But, I knew one thing.

I was so happy to have danced with her.