Part 35

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joslyn's flashback, 2006

My mother and her 'friends' are over again. Three big men I don't care to know with cards, money, and cigarettes. I hate them all.
  "Joslyn! Get over here!" she yells.
I have no choice but to leave my room and join them. As I make my way to them I see a stack of cash on the table.

"Now Joslyn, go get these fine men something to drink." she says. I go to the kitchen and get a pack of beer and a bottle of whatever alcoholic drink is in there. I drop them on the table without a word then begin to head upstairs. "Um no! Sit over there and watch how good your mom is. Maybe you'll be just like her one day."

She pulls out her revolver from her back pocket.
Russian roulette.
Another thing I hated.
The men put more money on the table. My mom smiles as she turns the chamber. She aims it at her head then closes her eyes and pulls the trigger.

Is it bad I wished it killed her? It brought me joy to see her pull it.

But it didn't kill her.
She was lucky.
Dammit.

"Thank you thank you!" she pushes the money towards her. "How about one more for the road? All or nothing." she points towards me. They put more money on the table but before I could understand what's happening she points the gun towards me. She turns the chamber.

"Let's see if my daughter is as lucky as I am."

She pulls the trigger.
I flinch.
The billet flies out above my head.

"You didn't aim it at her head, doesn't count." one of the men say as they take back their money.

"Looks like you're not lucky. You flinched, you're weak. I'm going to do this everyday until you learn not to flinch." she says.

And she did just that for 3 months straight.