Teaching the Ton a Lesson

The King could hear gasps and talk everywhere on the streets of London while riding beside his favourite person in the world

The King could hear gasps and talk everywhere on the streets of London while riding beside his favourite person in the world. Yes, when he saw how Thea looked in the empty parlour, he knew he had made a mistake, but nobody would need to know that. He was a king from the most powerful kingdom and was not brought up to show weakness.

John was riding two steps behind them as the etiquette demanded. He could not send Thea away anymore, but his head was like a storm. John did not know how to let his wife in again and do as the King had demanded. He felt betrayed and needed to close his heart to her and make his feelings disappear. Yet John was there riding his new polished horse with all confidence in the world. He was always good at masking his bad feelings. He did it all his life under his neglected parent's care.

They all halted at the Royal picnic camp at Hyde Park. The footmen came for the horses, and the King helped Thea off it. The Park was lively at that hour. All the respectful families were there enjoying the sunny day. They all needed to be seen as the London society required.

The Parker Family was already there with many members of the court. And the King took Thea's hand, walked her to a chair beside his, and said aloud. "Thea, my love, you look absolutely splendid wearing this red and navy-blue riding dress. The most elegant missus that the ton has ever seen. Is she not gentlemen?"

They all started to praise her. And it was as if the old days had returned to Thea's life. "Yes, of course, Your Majesty. You look exquisite today Mrs Pine." But the King knew it would not be enough. Even if he showed everyone, there was no falling out, and the whole scandal would quickly die. It would still be the other matter. Thea was no longer a high-rank lady and had married below her station.

Yes, she could still use the lady title from her father's side as was her birthright, but since the wedding, she only styled herself as Mrs Jonathan Pine. Thea had been stupid. He cussed his thoughts because he knew love made people do silly things.

The King did not miss how every time someone approached their camp, Thea had to get off her chair beside him and curtsey to someone. She only had to do it for her father and him all her life. And here she was entertaining all those vipers. He was sure they were enjoying each moment of her misery. But at nightfall, he would put a stop to it. It did not sit well with him.

He wanted her to be a Queen, and now she was nothing. "Bousser, organise a soiree this evening in my goddaughter's honour. I missed Mrs Pine dearly, and only a morning in her presence would not be enough. Invite the most pristine families, and do not forget to send invitations to Viscount Belford and his family." John was sipping lemonade, and the King looked at him with a smirk. "I have a feeling his family will be very proud of him this evening."

Philip needed to know if his friend was playing one more of his sick little games or if he was sincerely trying to fix the damage he had done to Thea. The Duke approached His Majesty and whispered. "What are your plans, Charlie?"