And The Monster Returns

After bidding the last guest goodbye, John headed to his room, and the fresh smell of lavender was strong in the air, making him smile

After bidding the last guest goodbye, John headed to his room, and the fresh smell of lavender was strong in the air, making him smile. His wife was safely tucked in his bed, waiting for him. He was so happy with the night she had prepared for him and wanted to share his feelings. He would thank her by giving all the attention to her body that evening.

When John joined her in bed, he noticed by her breathing that she was awake, waiting for him. "Darling, the night was a success. Everybody was pleased." From behind her, she felt John kissing her hair.

Now Thea could breathe properly. Lord Pine had said nothing to John. "That is good, John. Sorry that I am wearing a nightdress. I am not feeling my best and only wish to sleep tonight if you do not mind it." John felt sorry for her and thought she was tired of all the work she did and would make sure to thank her properly another time. "Of course, sweetheart."

Trying to hold her cries for him not to notice, she requested. "Can you please hold me?" John pulled her closer to him and wrapped his arms around her. "Tighter, John, please. I need to feel like we are one." John found it a little strange. She was so happy earlier, and now she did not sound as before. He was sure he was trying his best now and did not see any reason for her to be asking for affection. But he brushed it aside, thinking it must be because she was tired.

Thea could not sleep even in the arms of her beloved husband. Her only thoughts were if she would wake up the following day to find out she was again in the newspaper on another scandal, only this time involving her brother-in-law. She got up before dawn and went downstairs to wait for the paper.

Mrs Burton went to the Parlour to open it and started cleaning when she found Thea sitting in the dark. "Have you been here all night, Mrs Pine?" Thea shook her head. "I came down to wait for the paper. I am afraid that monster sold his lies about me, and I will be again in another scandal." Without her noticing, tears started to fall down her cheeks. She was desperate. "Oh, Mrs Burton, I am so scared he will tell John lies about me, and he will despise me."

Mrs Burton held her hands, comforting her. "Stay calm, Mrs Pine. You do not want your husband to see you like that. He will ask questions. Come with me, and I will make another chamomile tea to calm your nerves. It might make you sleepy. You need to rest."

After a while, Thea went to her room and tried to sleep. But even with the calming tea, she did not manage to sleep. Poppy came to help her, and Thea requested another bath, and after it, Poppy dressed her into a lovely pink morning dress. Thea went to check her drawing room, and everything was back to what was before.

Since the news was out that Lord Crawford would be taking a wife that season and was seeking counsel from Thea, she had had some callers, but that morning she was in no spirits of receiving anyone. Thea told Burton to send people away. She needed to think about what to do, calm her mind, and return to her everyday life. She would not let that monster disturb her them.