Helping a Friend

Liam was getting ready to call for a lady when he received a note from Pine House

Liam was getting ready to call for a lady when he received a note from Pine House. Thea was asking for him to see her. And as she was a priority in his life, his plans for the day to visit a lady his mother had begged him to call the previous night were all forgotten, and he asked his valet to get his grey jacket. He thought he looked great wearing it.

At the Pine House, Liam followed the grumpy butler to the drawing room, and Thea was there all lady-like, wearing a pink dress waiting for him. One look from Burton to Andrew and the footman knew he should not leave them, not even for one minute alone.

"I made a few enquiries and answered many letters, and I have a few prospects now for you. I know the urgency of the matter, and we need to make haste on it." Thea exhale. "But perhaps I could offer my services also in a different capacity Liam, and it would improve your prospects."

Thea stood up and motioned for him to follow her to the library. "Please have a seat, Liam. I will show you what I am working on." Andrew followed them, and Liam clenched his hands. That shadow of a footman never leaves them alone. Thea noticed the changes in his face and innocently thought it was because they would discuss his family's delicate matters.

"Do not worry about Andrew. As I said, he is loyal to me and very clever he will be a good help to us." Some of his ledger books and Thea's notes were on the table. Thea and Andrew had worked on them and had many progress notes. A smile spread on her lips, and Liam stood still to contain himself. If it were not for the footman in company, Liam would have acted on his fascination and even dared to attempt to kiss her.

Liam watched her pink lips moving and would give anything to feel their taste. But he soon came back to reality when she started talking about money. "As I was saying to you at your last visit, my husband had refused my dowry for my benefit, and I can use it as I see fit with Charlie's input. Of course, that was my father's condition in the trust."

Liam replied firmly. "I could never accept your money, Thea." She smiled. "I know that, Liam. You are an honourable man. I enquired about the lands that cross the boards with your Estate, and I am very interested in a particular place." Thea pointed at the map of his Estate's northern border and started explaining.

"The man is a widow Baron, and his late wife gave him no children. In his lineage, he has not had another male heir. The Estate is good, but he has no money left to invest in it." Liam knew about the lonely Baron and was looking at her, astonished.

"I sent my Stewart there. He had already checked all the books and the land. I received word from him last night everything is in order, and the land has many prospects if I spend a bit of money."

Liam cocked his head to the side and smiled. He so wished that clever lady was his. "I am impressed, Thea. In such a short time, you have done so much research." Thea reciprocated the smile. Apart from the matrons that visited her, she was glad Liam gave her something to occupy her time. "Do not need to thank me, Liam. I am the one that should thank you for confiding in your problems and trusting me with them. I have too much free time on my hands, and I was not used to that."