I Am No Longer A Parker

The rider rode his horse as fast as he could

The rider rode his horse as fast as he could. They all wanted to see Mrs Pine back in good spirits. Before leaving for Bath, Green had a word with Andrew, he had placed the young footman there to look after the mistress, and he was precisely doing that.

When Philip saw the rider waiting outside, he felt a pang in his heart. That faster rider was only sent for emergency news. His only thought was. "Thea." 

The rider gave him Green's note and a copy of the Morning Herald. "Why was I not informed of this earlier, Simons? This paper is days old, and all those things Green says on his note." The Duke was beyond angry with himself. He could sense something was wrong with Thea. She had not written to him, and he brushed it aside.

"I am truly sorry, Your Grace, with you leaving and giving us all rest. Mr and Mrs Green went to Bath to visit relatives. He only came back today. I rode as faster as I could. Andrew said Lady Thea is very distraught you are to return to London at once."

The Duke told the rider to rest and returned to the house "Hugh!!" The Duke screamed. "Make all the arrangements with your housekeeper. You all are to return to London tomorrow before dawn." He showed him the paper. "Make arrangements for me. I want your faster horse and two guards. I will ride back to London at once."

Widened his eyes at the paper, Hugh spoke. "Father, you will get there late at night is better if we all ride tomorrow." 

The Duke exhaled and said. "Hugh, when your daughter is distraught because someone is hurting her, you will not think twice and do the same as I shall now. Make all arrangements. I will see you all in London tomorrow."

All the sadness consumed Thea every day that she sat on her chair impeccably dressed for the day in her empty drawing room. She had not painted anymore, nor had she played her piano. With every passing day, she lost a bit of her soul. The indifference of John was what was stressing her the most.

Because even with all her cleverness, she did not know how to make her husband love her. She never had to use her accomplishments to make someone love her before. At the dining table alone, she did her best to try to eat. She did not feel like doing any of those things anymore.

The Duke called her house at 9 o'clock in the evening. He knew it was late to call, but he could not wait till the following day to see her. Philip was hoping the young couple would be already in the drawing room. But when Burton opened the door, he received a surprise.

"I am sorry to call so late, Burton. I just arrived from Cambridge and missed my daughter terribly. Are they having their dinner still?" 

Burton shook his head. "No, Your Grace. The mistress is already in her room, and Mister Pine did not dine here. He is usually home much later than that."