She Was All They Were Talking About

In the morning, Thea woke up early. The maid was fixing her hair for the day and started to lay the plans. Another week was beginning, and after seeing how upset her husband was, she knew she should look for why her drawing room was empty.

"Poppy. Go to the modiste, buy ribbons and try to see what is happening. Talk to other lady's maid, walk around the market if you have to." 

John stormed inside the room with the Morning Herald in his hands and tossed with on her bed. "You do not need to send your maid anywhere anymore."

Thea was again on the front page of a newspaper, but the headlines did not favour her this time

Thea was again on the front page of a newspaper, but the headlines did not favour her this time. "From an expensive diamond to a cheap piece of glass" was written on it. There was a drawing of her holding her skirts and running after John. She could not believe it. The tears started to scroll down her face without her even noticing.

She looked at John, and he had a stern face staring down at her. She needed some comfort now from him. With trembling lips, she asked, "please hold me." But Mister Pine had no desire to help his wife. He turned his back on her and left. Thea collapsed on the floor sobbing. She was ruined.

Poppy walked back to her quickly and held her in her arms. Thea looked desperate to her maid's face and pleaded. "Please help me, please, Poppy." She was begging for help as a child does when she gets hurt.

Hearing her pleas and cries, John left the house and went to call on Harry. And Harry was surprised to see him after the news. "Should he not be with his new wife?" Harry thought. "How did Mrs Pine take the news, John?"

John sat on the armchair near the window and shrugged. "I left her there crying and came here." 

Of course, Harry was confused. "Why?? Should you not comfort her? You are her husband. She must be hurt, John. The paper only tainted your wife. You were left out of the whole scandal. For them, you were an honourable man."

It was early, but Harry poured them a port. "What is going on, John? I often notice you working with your father or out with me. You just got married to the most ravishing lady in England. Should you not be home making love to her the whole day?"

"I cannot be with her, Harry. Everything is collapsing!!!" John groaned, frustrated. "My family is much angrier with me than before I got married. I never wanted her. I wanted a wife to get my hands on the bloody house."

"I think you are not thinking clearly, my friend. Should you not be working at the bank by now? Do as my father said and embrace your new life. Maybe that will be better than the one you have till now. Mrs Pine is a delightful woman. If she is too novice in bed, as I know you like an experienced woman, teach her, she is young and in love. I am sure she would be happy to please you."