Officially Betrothed

When the Duke entered Thea's bedchamber, she was sitting at the window, holding her legs to her chest and crying

When the Duke entered Thea's bedchamber, she was sitting at the window, holding her legs to her chest and crying. The Duke felt the dagger entering his heart. She was the most precious thing he had, and if the King did not have mercy on her, the scandal of her marrying below her station would be much greater. And he had prepared her for many things, but to be a commoner.

"Do you have feelings for Mister Pine, Darling?" 

Thea heard his question and thought that he was no longer angry at her if he had called her darling. But she was unsure if telling the truth would set him off again. "Please, Papa."

When she started crying and pleading, he had enough. He could not send her out there to be humiliated by the ton. He needed to help her be strong. He did not raise her to be weak. "I shall demand to be respected, Thea. I did not raise you to be like that. Like a fool. You are my daughter!!" He poked his chest. "You are a daughter of a mighty Duke and powerful family, and you have Parker blood in you."

Thea got up from the window, cleaned her stained face and looked him into his eyes. "Please forgive me, Your Grace. I do have feelings for Mister Pine for a long time."

Even though everything was settled, he hoped she would deny it and that everybody was wrong. Philip gave her a stern look. "Last night should have never happened. Your brothers and I are very disappointed in you, and so will your grandmother. She will not even be here to help you with the wedding preparations and talk to you about your wedding night, and we cannot wait till she returns."

He would have to endure his mother's complaints. "Because of what transpired last night, we no longer have the luxury to entertain a long courtship. Too many people have already been involved in our affairs. It is a much bigger scandal to happen any minute you are not wed." Thea did not think anyone would be suspicious about them leaving the ballroom. She went there alone and took a little while for Mister Pine to join her.

"You do understand you will be a commoner now? He has no noble title to give to you. You will no longer be Lady Parker. It pains me so much to say that." He held her hands. "Thea, that was not mine or your mother's dreams for you. Our world is very cruel to an untitled woman. I am doing everything I can to protect you now with a contract, but after that, your brothers and I have no say in your life anymore, so it will be up to your husband to take care of you."

The Duke feared for his daughter. He had only met Jonathan for the first time, and he had never heard of him before it. "I do not know the man well. It will be his right to beat you if he seems fit, and I could not do anything." 

Thea knew her new life would be challenging, but she would be with the love of her life. She was sure Mister Pine would make it work. He went after her, worried and kissed her. He sure holds her in high regard. And Wesley stated in his letters that Mister Pine was brilliant at Cambridge. She would only have to show Mister Pine how clever she was by helping him the same as she helped the Parker Family.