Wedding Bells

The most anticipated day for the members of the ton had finally arrived

The most anticipated day for the members of the ton had finally arrived. Everyone brushed off all the gossip the Pine Family were spreading about the new couple in London, as they would not be able to handle the wrath of a furious King. Nobody would dare to talk ill about the King's beloved goddaughter.

Till then, the Parker men were able to contain the scandal of The honourable Lady Parker, the Diamond of the season, marrying a spare with no means and below her station.

All the noble and respectful families would be attending the wedding breakfast. The Duke spared no expenses, and everything looked magnificent. It was grander than his wedding. People would be talking about it for weeks.

The Duke was relieved when he received the news that the King had to attend to an urgent matter in Scotland and had left England the night before the night. He knew it was a lie, but at least his dear friend had the decency not to hurt Thea on her wedding day by simply not attending it. It would be a much bigger scandal for them to handle.

John headed to Clifford House early to get ready by Harry's competent valet. Lord Clifford insisted on giving John his wedding outfit and ordered his tailor to make it fitted to a King. Jonathan was humbled and accepted as his father told him nothing would be made with his money.

All doors have been opening for John since he entered her life. He looked handsome in a black velvet coat with a waistcoat, cravat light cream, and black breeches perfectly fitting him. Lord Clifford's tailor was the same as the Duke's, and he would shine in the ton's eyes in his expensive jacket.

The men arrived at the Palace and were impressed by the preparations. The Duke, for sure, knew how to impress everyone. "Jonathan, you are looking great in your new garments. I do hope you do not mind me starting the conversation without formalities. Thea will be your wife in a few minutes, and you will be like a son to me." 

John smiled at the man. He looked happy, and the Parker Family was well-dressed, wearing new clothes. "Not at all, Your Grace."

"Come, son, It is time. You go to the chapel with my boys and wait for your handsome bride." The Duke wanted an intimate affair inside the chapel, and only family would be there. The ton would attend only the lavish wedding breakfast. Even Uncle Lord Parker and Thea's cousins were able to arrive on time. But on John's side of the chapel, only Lord and Lady Clifford were sitting.

His family would only attend the reception because it would be full of influential people. It would be an excellent opportunity for his sister to find a wealthy husband. Those were his mother's words to him the night before.

The music started, and Thea walked graciously on her father's arm, smiling happily. All eyes were on her, and all her family were delighted for them. John was sure he had never seen a more exquisite bride. And Thea's heart was leaping very fast. She had not seen John since the betrothal dinner fiasco, nor had she received a note from him.