The Evil Book

As the days progressed, the news that Mrs Pine was helping Earl Crawford spread rather quickly, and a few more matrons, ladies and misses came calling the Pine House, but no one was important or worth a second look

As the days progressed, the news that Mrs Pine was helping Earl Crawford spread rather quickly, and a few more matrons, ladies and misses came calling the Pine House, but no one was important or worth a second look. Liam desperately needed a hefty dowry, and only mediocre families were low enough to bypass her scandal and have tea in Thea's drawing room.

Her drawing room was indeed livelier than before, but it made Thea sadder than happier as they looked at her like she was nothing. Her few callers were enjoying how the once mighty Lady Parker, that had to curtsy only to the King, now had to do it even to the low honourable. But for Liam's sake, she would have to endure those matrons bothering her and looking forward to Thea putting a good word on their daughters' behalf, that dreamt about being a Countess.

As soon as John came home, she instantly felt her spirits lifting. The only thing keeping her together was her husband, who had returned to be kind to her. His mere presence was soothing to her, and the comfort of his arms around her in John's warm bed every night was enough to get her ready for the next round of despicable ladies of the ton.

Thea noticed John was trying every day to be better. He was always home early; some days, he worked inside his study, and they had luncheon together. They went out a few times for a promenade, but Thea felt very anxious about how people still stared at her and gave her the cut. She was avoiding busy places, and as John had noticed, he would bring her to the London Palace more often like that she could see the servants and look after her mother's garden.

But Thea was determined to help Liam find a wife quickly. She had given her word and would not put a stop to the nonsense callers. His ledger books were not promising, and the news could come out any minute. His servants were not as loyal as hers and her fathers. She knew it would be difficult as her dowry was the biggest in London. Thea sat at her writing table, knowing she had to get creative and think about a solution.

On a beautiful sunny morning, she was arranging the refreshments table, and two matrons and a widow she had never received in the London Palace before arrived at her house.

Thea was feeling rather uncomfortable with the visit. They were very rude to her in her house. She was no longer a high-rank lady but still conducted herself as one and did not want to be harsh with them. And after they had eaten all the food Thea had on display, they started talking about a book called "How to be a proper good wife." And they enquired if Thea had read the so-called book before trapping her husband into marriage, as they hoped she was not conducting herself as a courtesan. They even dared to say the crude word whore with her husband in their marital bed.

Thea had never heard of such a book and did not know what the ladies were talking about and brushed it off, afraid they would stir gossip if she said she had never heard of it. As soon as the ladies left, Thea ran to the library and found the book. She always wanted to be an excellent wife to John and was happy to learn anything that could improve their situation and sat near the window to read it.