The New Reality

Thea woke up and sighed in contentment

Thea woke up and sighed in contentment. She was not dreaming the night before. John was still there, holding her in a warm embrace. After all that time, finally, her husband gave her some affection.

She felt his warm breath fanning her skin and heard a sleepy voice behind her. "Good Morning, darling." Her body jolted inside with happiness, his mood still the same as before. "Good Morning, John."

He caressed her long hair. "It is late, and I have already requested a food tray for us. John had already looked around and was pleased with the arrangements in the room. She would have much more space now. "It will be best to break the fast in here before you can get ready for the day."

They had their food, John went to change, and before sending Poppy in to help her mistress, he instructed the maid to dress her in an exquisite morning frock as he would bring her to a promenade.

He was in the drawing room waiting for her when Burton announced Earl Crawford's arrival. And he thought, looking at the handsome blonde man walking into his drawing room. "God! I cannot believe he came back sooner than I thought."

With an air of superiority, he greeted John. He was not expecting Mister Pine to be home at that hour. "Good Day, Mister Pine. I came to see if Mrs Pine was feeling well."

John faked a smile to Crawford. He wanted the man out of his house before Thea came downstairs. "My wife is much improved, Lord Crawford. And now is not a good time to receive any callers. We will be leaving soon for a promenade."

Liam's eyes shone. "That is a great idea, Mister Pine! It is a marvellous day. I will be happy to accompany you two. I heard Thea had not been seen outside since her arrival from Paris."

John clenched his jaw. The Earl had already dropped all the honorifics regarding his wife's name, and John did not want the man's company. "Thank you, my lord. Maybe another time. Mrs Pine and I would like to go out as a family."

He looked at the butler and said. "Please, Burton. See Earl Crawford out." Of course, the butler was happy to close the door in Liam's face. He knew the man's intentions towards his mistress. When Burton returned, John was quick to give him instructions. "Burton, make sure if the Earl returns when I am not home, leave Andrew in the room. I do not wish Mrs Pine to be alone with him in the drawing room."

John dismissed the butler quickly and tried to breathe, keeping the demons at bay. "It is not her fault John. She is innocent. Thea will never do that to you. She loves you and will never put you aside as your family did." When he saw Thea approaching, his mind was at ease, and she looked very handsome, wearing a lovely blue frock with a hat in the same colour.

Thea was smiling, but she was anxious inside. She had not been out in more than two weeks and was scared of what the ton would do once they saw her. And all of Thea's fears surfaced as soon as they arrived at Hyde Park.