A Very Angry King

When the Duke arrived at the St

When the Duke arrived at the St. James' Palace, he took a deep breath before entering the King's private rooms. The Parker Family had easy access to that Palace and never had to request an audience beforehand. The Duke was sure that would no longer hold after what he had to say to the man.

Philip knew his good friend had a bad temper since they were children. He thought it would be best to be formal from the start as he would demand it from him, even in private.

When Philip entered the room, the King was having his tea on the balcony, and he bowed and said. "Your Majesty."

"I see whatever you came here for must be important. I never demanded those formalities from you when we were alone. You know you look pathetic when you bow to me without spectators. I like it from the commoners but not from you." The king saw that his good friend was not amused by his joke.

"For God's sake, Philip, spit it out. You are ruining my tea." 

The Duke hoped the King's anger would disappear by the wedding day. "I am just back from seeing the Archbishop. I went to require a special marriage license. Thea is betrothed as of now."

The King gave him a sharp look. He was already angry. "What do you mean she is betrothed? How and most importantly, to whom? The king stood up very quickly and pointed his finger at Philip. "How dare you give her hand without my permission. She is mine to do so." 

The Duke hated when the king acted like he was her father and was the only one to make decisions about his only daughter's life.

"Charlie, please." 

The King paced in the room with a frustrated face. "Do not call me by my given name when you came here to stab me in the back. I understand you did not approve my ideas regarding the King of Prussia, but now giving her away like that and securing a special license without asking for my counsel is too much, Duke."

"Something happened last night after you left the ball, and it turns out Thea has had feelings for a very long time for the man." The Duke had already had a long night and morning. He did not need another burden on his shoulders.

The King smashed the cup of tea against the wall in anger. "What do you mean something happened at the ball? I left you to look after her, and you are here to tell me she ruined herself at the ball, Philip? Is that what you are here to tell me???" The King was screaming so much that Philip was glad he had come when he was in those rooms. They were always alone there.

The last thing Thea needed was gossip from St. James' Palace directly to the streets of London. "She is not ruined, Charlie, yet, but if I had not acted swiftly, it would have been a scandal."

"