Chapter20||Into the Ruins pt.2

"Life is either a daring adventure
or nothing at all."

-Helen Keller
_________________________________________

"What's going on?"

I wasn't happy about the fact that I was awoken from my sleep only to find out we were being searched by cops.

When I think about my life at this moment, I resisted the urge to burst out into laughter.

It's just a mess.

The two officers seemed hell-bent on finding at least a tiny bit of evidence in the house, I watched as one officer interrogated Jacob, he insisted on him opening the weapon room.

But, to my surprise, there was an unexpected shift in the matrix, which caused both officers to rush out frantically.

I followed Jacob, whose gaze was fixated on the officer's car, speeding out of the driveway.

"What the actual hell." He breathed out.

I couldn't help but question who would call the cops, just like that.

I mean, we don't even have neighbors.

"Hey, what's up? " I questioned, genuinely concerned. He looked like he was about to kill somebody.

"Nothing gotta go. " He answered, and I don't think that he even noticed me. With that, he grabbed the keys from the countertop and headed to the door.

Whatever dumbass.

I rolled my eyes and decided that I would just take a shower.

I threw on a tank top and some shorts and headed back into my room, popping myself down on the bed. Fumbling around with my phone, I notice messages from my mother and an unknown number.

Some of which look like they've already been read. Who the heck would touch my phone? I start to think and the only person that popped into my head was Jacob.

I'mma seriously have to knock some sense into that boy.

Ugh.

I ran through the messages from the unknown number.

My heart stopped for a millisecond. What? How would he even get my number?

Why is he able to find me?

Unknowingly, tears streamed down my cheeks. The entire room starts to spin and I feel like all the air has been sucked out of the room.

I gasped desperately for air, clutching my throat.

I feel my heart beating out of my chest.

The sound of my door being bashed in was what brought me back to reality.

"Orianna, are you okay? " Jerald questions between breaths.

"Ye-yeah." My eyes dart to the floor.

"Tell me what's wrong. " He says, his tone dripping with concern.

"It's nothing, I'll be down in a few. " I wave him off. Hopefully, that'll do it.

He just stares at me for a bit and then turned around and left.

I breathed out and went to the bathroom to splash my face with some water.

After a few minutes, I headed downstairs, I was immediately met with the smell of delicious fried eggs and bacon.