Chapter 24||Crème De La Crème

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

~~~

Jacob's POV

I threw my black leather jacket over my plain Black T and took a glance of myself in the long mirror in front of the bed.

Not too bad La Croix. Not too bad.

Taking a glance in between the blinds, I could infer that it was still very early in the morning as the outside was pitch black.

Combing my fingers through my pale green hair, I suddenly remember her.

It's just been a few hours, she couldn't possibly be dead as yet.

Deciding on texting her later, I adjust my jacket and grab the bags from the closet and head out.

A couple of seconds later, with a quick flick of my wrist, my bronze apple watch awakens to show the time to be half past three.

Perfect. The earlier it is the better.

As soon as I cleared the corridor and entered the lobby, only the receptionist stood around the counter even though she seemed a bit preoccupied.

So I gladly took that as my que to silently leave the lobby. Moments after my feet are now on the outside concrete of the entrance, a matte black Rolls-Royce stops smoothly at my feet.

And without a doubt, I know that it must be X. I throw the bags around the back with the others, disregarding Jerald's protests.

I take a seat next to a usual stoic X and the car cruises away from the pavement and in a couple of moments picks up more speed.

"So... Anyone wants a protein bar?" Jerald cuts the silence abruptly. Everyone else seemed to genuinely not care and I just sat silently, waiting for him to shut up.

"... It's good since we all didn't get a chance to eat breakfast. " He added quickly after he noticed no response.

"Nah, I'm good. " Countered X in a flat tone. Then Sean and I refused shortly afterward.

With that, he became silent and then mumbled something to himself before the crumbling of the wrappers started to take over the resting silence in the car. I took that opportunity to shift my gaze briefly to the rearview mirror and the road seems almost clear. Only a black Lamborghini Urus came into view and it was only a couple of meters behind.

I could even spot one from a mile away.

The sight of the vast area of greenery and cattle started to rear from a distance as we neared the quarters where Markov was staying, presumably.

"We're close alright. " Jerald perked up, the sound of his fingers rapidly clashing with the computer's keyboard.

As he typed away, I caught a glimpse of a black Lamborghini Urus in the rearview, that was now suddenly very close behind us.

Instantaneously, X presses the gas harder, earning a low roar from the vehicle as it thrust forward.

The Lamborghini is thrown off for a little and then X decides to make an abrupt turn-off into an alternate route.

Whoever that was lost us, for now at least.

I suspect that it must've been one of Markov's minions. Not too difficult to locate us since there is a rat that is yet to be caught.