Chapter13||Exposure

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."

-Marianne Williamson
_________________________

My steps faltered as I made my way to the bathroom sink, I felt almost as if I was faint. I feebly gripped onto the bathroom sink for support, lowering my head to avoid my reflection.

You are stronger than this, Damn it! I mentally slapped myself.

But I only felt the burning sensation of tears forming in my eyes. I slowly lifted my head, taking in my appearance. My eyes were red and puffy and my cheeks were dampened from my previous fits of crying.

My face was ruined but I didn't care. I just desperately needed to be held, to be told everything was going to be okay. This secret is gnawing at my heart, and I can't even talk to my mother because she is always drunk and irritated. She wouldn't even care if I died I bet she'd be even happier without me.

I'm just a burden. I always was. Maybe I am the reason for her behavior. My knees went weak at the thought of being stripped of my dignity again and I fell to the dirty, cold tiles for refuge, holding my chest. A loud whimper escaped from my lips and I began shaking, thinking of what happened to me.

My fingers clenched onto the fabric of my dress, grabbing tightly onto my chest. The tears streamed down my face, I felt like I could just rip my heart out.

Where is help when you need it? It isn't even remotely possible to call Darcy, she will be very upset with me and I can't lose her.

She's my only friend.

I can't help but feel furious with myself. This is weak, I'm weak and pathetic.

You're stupid! Stop this now! My subconscious screamed at me. I stood up, trying to regain my composure. I am truly exhausted, all I want to do now is go to my room and curl up in my bed, with my favorite, cream-coated Golden Retriever.

Just the thought of being home fills me with warmth. I need to hold onto the little dignity that I have left. I breathed out unsteadily, brushing off my dress and splashed my face with water. My bare skin was exposed and I couldn't have cared less.

I tottered out of the bathroom, feeling my body sway as I tried to move on further. My arms shot out ahead of me clutching onto the nearest wall.

"Are you okay?" I tilted my head upwards to see Jacob, looking down at me.

Oh, it wasn't a wall. "I'm fine." I lied.

His brows were knitted together as he took in my appearance. "Let me take you home." His hands moved to either side of my torso. I slapped them off.

"I'm perfectly capable of walking myself." I pushed past him, walking towards the exit.

"Ma'am you-

"It's okay, she's with me." I faintly heard Jacob behind me.

I let out a deep sigh when the cool night breeze swept across my skin. I missed this feeling of freedom. I rested against the jeep as I waited for Jacob to catch up. Not long after I spotted him, strolling towards the jeep.

The jeep was opened and I climbed in, shifting around uncomfortably, feeling the cold of the leather seat, sting my skin. Immediately after Jacob is seated, I reached for the dial on the heater.

"You know the seats can be heated." His accent was thick and I can't help but wonder why Darcy doesn't have an accent.

"Why do you have a British accent, whereas Darcy sounds American? I questioned curiously.

My seat started to warm up, giving me a bit of comfort.

"I'll answer your question if you answer mine first." He pressed on.

"Sure."

"Who is that guy to you." He stared ahead. His knuckles were white and bruised as they gripped the steering wheel.

"Nobody important." I lowered my head, picking at the skin around my fingernails.

"Well, he's very important to me now." He mumbled.

"Now answer my question." I lifted my head.

He sighed. "I was raised in England and I moved to America at a young age, I guess the accent stuck with me and Darcy adapted easily because she was younger than I." He replied.

"Oh," I whispered to myself.

"Shit.Shit. Shit." He cursed under his breath, honking the horn repeatedly.

There were about a couple dozen cars ahead of us, we were heavily caught in traffic.

"The route to Hamiltonshire is completely blocked." He sighed.

My phone vibrated, flashing two notifications from my mother on the lock screen.

*Where are you? You better have a damn good explanation for being late!*

I switched off my phone immediately dismissing the idea of going home.

"Can I come home with you?" I asked shyly.

There was a brief moment of silence. "Sure." He answered coolly.

The jeep swerved out of the line of traffic and drove onto another street. The entire area was dark and secluded with an eerie vibe. I got out my wireless earphones and connected them to my phone via Bluetooth to listen to 'Dream a little dream of me' by Doris Day. It was a classic that I deeply enjoyed.

After a few minutes, a few houses were visible, most of which were mansions. But the houses were scattered and there were only a few of them in the entire area. I resisted the urge to feel scared because this is just where only drug dealers live.

Right?

We drove into a lane with huge modern-styled mansions. The jeep stopped inside the parking lot of a huge blue mansion with a mostly glass exterior.

Here we go.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N:  Holyyyyy Coww! 1k reads? This is way more than I expected for this book! I thank each and every one of you guys❤️❤️. You guys can't even imagine my excitement rn and I know, I sorta kinda promised more action, but you guys got to be patient cuz i'm working up the momentum here lol. Annnd I'll be posting another chapter in a couple of days so don't miss me too much;-).

If u enjoy what I write you can leave a comment and vote.

-stay safe

~killerbeanqxeen