Chapter1||Sunflower(a trip down memory lane)

***This chapter has been modified and updated from the original version.

"This life is like a swimming pool. You dive into the water, but you can't see how deep it is. "

~Dennis Rodman

_________________________________________

"Grandma why can't I play with the other children in the garden?" I asked looking up at her.

"...because you are different than the other children, my dear," She answered with a small smile. Even though she had been putting on makeup, I could still make out faint wrinkles at the corners of her eyes as she looked at me.

"You see child, there are two types of people in the world, the ones who think that they are better than you. she paused gazing outside at the garden, narrowing her eyes at the children. "Then you have those who don't know their worth."

She looked at me like I was the most precious stone she had ever collected. Which meant something, according to her stories of 'scavenger hunting' that she did in her time.

I frowned at that. I didn't understand why I couldn't play with the others in the garden.

I heard a giggle and peeked outside the white, shimmery curtains.

"B-But I don't-- I can't--

"Ssh, don't cry," she said wiping my cheeks with her hands, with a small frown upon her forehead.

"J--Jerimiah says that I can't play...because I'm black". I said, my voice going lower at the end.

"There's nothing wrong with being dark-skinned."

"Yes, It's wrong! I'll never make friends here now because of my skin." I blurted out in frustration.

"Oh, my dear, if that's the case then you don't need friends here, to begin with." She shook her head.

"But I won't ever have f-- friends!" I said, a small tear streaming down my left cheek.

She wiped my tear and spoke again, in a soft, small voice.

"You don't need them, because you're special, you're independent and you will not let anyone make you feel any less," she said pulling me against her.

I just nuzzled my face in her dress. Not saying anything, she took that ask her que to speak again.

"See those Roses in the garden?" she said pointing down to where the others were.

I nodded in response. "Notice that there are dozens of Red and White roses, but only one small patch of Sunflowers in the garden?" She said smiling lightly, her brown eyes gleaming with joy.

"Just like how people say that the Phoenix rises again above the turmoil. And the flower is indeed faced towards the sun for a reason. It stays there and gets all of the sunshine and flourishes in it, that is what You are. You are my  Sunflower."

She placed a kiss on my forehead.

"Now can you be a sunflower and just look up at the sunshine, the bright side of it all?"