Chapter28||Think Fast

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game. "

-Babe Ruth

~~~

I stood in front of the large standing mirror of the room I had woken up in. I was quite impressed with the little time I had yet I still managed to look good. My hair wasn't even gelled back, yet it still looked okay in the ponytail I put it up in. I had tucked the white blouse I got into the blue denim jeans and slipped into the sneakers that I had gotten also.

I took one last deep breath before opening the door and made my way down the passage toward the long staircase. The staircase was large. Large was an understatement, it was colossal. Much like basically every other room I've been to in this whole house.

Or mansion at that.

The wooden handrails were a dark reddish hue with the stairs being a lighter shade than them, having a glossy finish to them. As I make my way down the stairs, my eyes fell on the view below them. To the left of the staircase sat a group of people, most of which were female. They were all seated around a large rectangular-shaped glass table. Just as I'm about to near the foot of the stairs, I hear a small eruption of giggles coming from around the table. I approach them slowly, anger awakening within me with each step I get closer to them. A blonde girl peered from around where Ezekiel was seated, his back was turned to me, all the while his attention was already captivated by two girls who were seated at either side of him. The blonde giggled once more before eyeing me up and down and flipping her long shiny locks over her shoulder. She then quickly turned her attention to Ezekiel. I cleared my throat and everyone turned their attention to me.

"We need to talk Ezekiel, I don't have the patience to be putting up with your foolishness." I folded my hands over my chest.

"Why don't we sit and chat a little first? Let's do that. " He leaned over to the blonde that was in front of him and whispered something in her ear and a few moments after that he winked at her and she smiled sheepishly before getting up from around the table. Right before passing me, she eyed me once more, before flipping her hair, this time making sure to hit me in the face. I could feel my blood boiling by this point and my hands were ready curled up into a ball to give it to her.

"Please." Ezekiel gestured toward the now empty chair. Ugh, I need to get up out of here already. I rolled my eyes before walking up to the chair, just before I could sit, someone held the chair behind me, pushing it under as I sat. Moments later, there is a steaming plate of scrambled eggs and waffles placed in front of me. The delicious aroma was like a sweet, calming melody on a Sunday afternoon. I wasted no time picking up the fork from the side of the plate and dug in. The fluffy warm eggs dancing on my tongue, with just the right balance of salt and pepper, but surprisingly a hint of cinnamon too. I let out a satisfying groan of enjoyment, all the while everyone at the large table, even from way down, had their attention on me.

Good.

I swallowed one last bite of scrambled egg. "How am I supposed to marry someone I barely even know? " I blurted out sarcastically before reaching for the glass of orange juice placed next to my plate not too long ago. To my luck, this orange juice wasn't as refreshing as I had hoped it was quite sour. I shut my right eye in trying to cope with the new unwanted bitterness on my tongue.

"Who did this?" Immediately I put down the glass of orange juice with it still somewhat full. From way across the head of the table sat a light-skinned broad-shouldered gentleman, he was well groomed and clothed in a full black and white tuxedo.