Chapter17||Saying Goodbye

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

___________________________________________

"We did everything we could." Those words echoed inside my head as my feet stayed planted in one spot. It seemed like time itself stopped and everything else around me didn't exist.

I stood there, silently hoping that this was all just a sick joke and that I was just another victim of some sort of prank show.

I whipped my head around, looking for any signs of a camera crew.

Nothing.

I guess it's real. This is my new reality. My life was manageable with her, now I don't know what I am going to do. I don't know if my brain has gone out of whack now or if anything is real because, to my left, I heard a voice faintly, calling out to me.

"...are you okay?" The voice faded as well as the person's face it belonged to as I searched the room for the voice, everything looked strange and fuzzy.

The walls were suddenly caving in on me, shutting off all of my air supply and I felt choked and became desperate for air. My feet were heavy and it was really difficult to move, I took an unsteady step back, which caused me to fall to the ground, hitting my head hard against the cold hospital tiles. My whole body felt limp and lifeless.

Then almost too suddenly, everything faded into black...

****** F҈ L҈ A҈ S҈ H҈ B҈ A҈ C҈ K҈

"Hello!" The pretty blue-eyed girl from the playground waved at me animatedly, flashing a toothy smile, though I realized that her two front teeth were missing.

"Hi!" I giggled, pointing to her mouth.

"Hey! That's not nice!" She slapped my hand away. I drew my hands to my sides immediately, feeling a bit humiliated.

"Sorry," I mumbled, staring at the floor.

"It's okay, they just fell out yesterday, the tooth fairy came and got 'em." She jumped up excitedly, her shiny, long brown curls bounced along with her.

"Really?"

"Yes! I got 5 bucks off the sucker!" She whispered in my ear. I felt a bit confused because I never knew you could get money for losing your teeth, for all I know money is not that much where I come from.

"What's your name? Wanna be besties?" She said as she took my hands and jumped up and down excitedly.

"My name is Orianna Hall, yes we can be besties!" I said silently, jumping along with her, I felt guilty shortly afterward as I just remembered that mom said not to talk to strangers.

But this time was different.

"Yay!" She clapped excitedly in response, then she ran towards the slide, pulling me along with her.

We played for the entire evening until it was almost dark.

We said our goodbyes, after which, a tall guy in a black suit came and took her hand afterward, I could barely see his face, but she waved goodbye and I did the same.

I felt lonely as I watched her walk away with that guy. I didn't want her to go away. She seemed so far away, so much that when I called for her, she couldn't hear me.

Tears slid down my face as I kicked the stones on the ground.

I already miss her.

****[̲̅E] [̲̅N] [̲̅D]