What I Want

Kaia Blanc

"I'm head of the Russian Mafia. I kill bad people, I injure people to threaten them. I run many underground businesses and chains-"

"Do you-"

"Zip." He ordered and I did, but my heart began racing with all the conspiracies coming true that I had.

"My sister doesn't know. She won't know. I know she's older but she is part of our normal family profit and she loves shopping and hanging out with her girlfriends, I'm not taking her down with gore. So you're not to ever speak of this to her." He stared at me with such firm eyes, not on edge, just demanding.

"Okay."

"And I don't do the bad shit. Well... I don't do anything disgusting. I drug traffic, Gun traffic, but there's no human trafficking or anything like that. There's no raping, no anything like that here." He nodded.

"Okay." I sipped the margarita.

"You'll see me do these things as well as kidnap people, but there's always a reason for it. Now in your good fix-it world the reasons may not make sense to you but it's the way it happens here. If we're stolen from or someone we love dearly is harmed, you're dead. If im threatening you, you're physically harmed. Not you, but you as in-"

"I know."

"Alright. And we take sexual assault and marital abuse seriously as well as infidelity but that has different consequences. If one of my guys' wife has bruises and her daughter does too, he's gone. I don't fuck with that shit and I don't believe in that piece of shit only getting 5 years in prison when he should be ten feet under." He told me.

It's like the movie threats. But the concept that he actually does this is crazy.

"You're here to treat my family. Any security men who get harmed, my workers who get shot or dehydrated, my men, their wives, their sons, their daughters. I keep my people safe, Kaia. Public records aren't safe for people like us." He said.

"I understand."

"Your family can't know either." He sat back.

"Okay."

"Is that it? Any questions?"

"No."

"Here's the loyalty document. You're my ally, my #1 essentially. You'll be over Alec, even. Over my mom, my dad." He said and I read over it.

It was legit.

So I signed.

"Here's the 5 year form, this is the official 'you're in' paper." He said.

Signed it after reading.

"Alright. That's it." He smiled at me.

I nodded.

"What's with the silence?"

"Uhm... just new." I whispered.

"Understandable. Let's go downstairs Hm?"

-

I needed my nails done. Typically we can't wear acrylics dealing with patients but if I'm just dealing with criminals than being "good" is the last thing I'm worried about.

I went to the bar as he kept walking.

"Hey darlin' what can I get you?" A terribly pretty man asked me.

He had a light brown shade of hair, it was straight and sort of upward in a messy way.

He had greenish eyes and was a good height. The biceps in that short sleeve though.

It's been a while since I've gone out and I'm under a dry spell. If that wasn't obvious by now.

"Mmm, what do you recommend? Strong but fruity." I smiled.

"Well New Orleans has a signature called the Hurricane." He tossed a rag over his shoulder and I hummed.

"What is it?"

"Rum, passion fruit juice, orange juice, it's very tropical but a lot of people not native to here tend to get it often." He shrugged, giving me a nice smile.

"Okay. Sure, one of those." I nodded.

Alec came and stood beside me.

"Hello." I looked at him.

"Let's not flirt with the bartender." He glared at me.

"Why not? It's my first night here, leave me alone." I swatted.

"You're working."

"Mmhm. I don't see anything wrong. I'm not going home with him, I'm not touching. I'll be wherever Zion is soon." I watched the bartender make my drink before he set it in front of me.

He looked at Alec, then me and paused. I watched his adams Apple bob as he looked shocked.

"Ms. Blanc. Uhm, I apologize for my flirtatious behavior, have a good night, let me know when you want your refill." He refused eye contact then left.

I turned, glaring at Alec.

"Sorry angel. You're playing the rules to Zions game. Not yours. Now come on." He smiled, condescendingly.

I grabbed my drink, taking a gulp before walking to Zion.

"Seriously?" I asked him.

He looked up at me from where he sat, the people he sat with staring at me in shock.

"What?" He asked.

"She was flirting with the bartender then she got mad when he realized who she was." Alec said and I hit him in the side.

"Because he looked terrified. I did nothing wrong but I know it was you and had something to do with you. So what? Am I now off limits? I just got here, Zion. Not even 48 hours ago, I didn't know you existed. Am I not allowed any fun?" I frowned.

He smiled, so gently, so kindly.

"Fun isn't sleeping around, Kaia. Go dance, make female friends for all I care but while you're on my clock, there's no hookups or boy toys." He sipped whatever drink he had.

"I'm always on your clock." I glared.

He laughed.

"Oops." He looked away from me and to the people around him.

I don't know why I was so irritated but I was.

I set my drink down on the little side table that was by his chair as I walked to the bathroom.

I put cold water on my face, raking through the reasons I might've been irritated and all I came up with is that he wasn't even being a dick. I was just trying to rebel and get my way.

But this was "work" so I'd have to get over that and figure my life out.

I was fine.