Once in a Lifetime

Kaia Blanc

"Hey Sammy, how are you feeling?" I asked the small boy in front of me who wore a cast from hip to toe on his left leg after a femur break.

"Better. Sleepy." He whispered.

"Well you're still looking very pale. Can I get you lunch? I'll hand you a menu, pick what you want, then you'll be out of here soon." I smiled, handing him a folded menu.

"Okay." He whispered.

His mom smiled at me.

"Thank you. So much."

"Of course. Treating you was truly a blessing, I wish the best of your recovery." I turned and walked out.

I walked to the room beside his which held a trauma victim.

This was heavier. Not a femur break of a child.

Rather a teenage boy who was kidnapped by three men, beaten, stabbed, with many fractures who was on the brink of death.

He came in yesterday and went into immediate surgery for internal bleeding.

He was only 14. Wrong place, wrong time.

But I had to question him.

I knocked on his door softly before walking in.

"Dante, hello, may I come in?" I asked.

He looked at me through tearful eyes.

"Do you want me to leave the door open?" I asked.

"It's okay." He croaked.

I shut it softly.

"It's lovely meeting you awake and present. I'm Doctor Kaia Blanc. Kaia is fine though, I'll be taking special care of you and making sure everything goes smoothly and your comfort is my priority. May I wipe your eyes?" I asked and he nodded.

I dabbed the tears gently avoiding the bruises and swelling.

I pulled up a chair beside his bed and sat level with him.

"I truly don't mean to be a pain, if you can't speak about it, don't. But is it okay if I ask some questions for the benefit of your health?" I asked.

He nodded.

"Water." He barely murmured.

"I'm gonna need you to spit it back out though, you have damage to your insides." I said and made sure his IV was full.

He nodded.

I helped him slowly sit up only a bit to swish and spit, blood still in his mouth and on his teeth.

I sat.

"How are you doing, darling?" I asked.

Slow, tortured, broken tears.

I very carefully placed one of my cold hands on his wrist, rubbing my thumb in a comforting motion.

He shook his head, growing physically distressed as he couldn't remain still.

"Honey I'm gonna need you to breathe and relax. I know you're hurt, I'm so sorry and I'm so happy you're here, but I can't have you hurt yourself further." I whispered and he shook his head.

"I just need yes or no answers. These are things I can't check until you're better healed but I also want you aware of what's happening. Can you do that for me?"

He nodded.

"In the week you were... gone, did any sexual act occur?" I asked.

He nodded.