II - Friends

~ ~ ~

I thought my morning walk to school would be peaceful.

"Ayla!" I hear someone yell from behind me. I turn my head and see Altheo.

I stop walking and wait for him to drive up to me.

"It's Athena." I remind him, fighting off the awkwardness. "And how did you find me, this is a closed off neighbourhood."

"You're not the only one who lives in this neighbourhood, Alena." He says already forgetting my name.

I deadpan and walk away, having to try and keep my composure.

"I hope you know you're heading the wrong way. " He shouts.

I shut my eyes, knowing that I would get lost sooner or later. I was lost the days before, I'm practically lost today and I'm sure I'll end up lost tomorrow.

His car slowly drives up to where I stood.

"Just get in or we'll both be late." He says. I give up and sit in the passenger seat of his blue spider convertible.

"You don't live in this neighbourhood."

He laughs at me in disbelief for a second. "And how do you know that?"

"Cars like this don't have owners who live in this sort of neighbourhood." I stated and he nodded in agreement.

During the short ride to school, I tried asking him what he was doing in the area but Altheo started playing opera music on the radio, messing around just to avoid the question.

At some point, I realised I was smiling like a fool as I watched him attempt to sing.

I gave up asking him questions by the time we arrived in the school grounds. At first I was confused as to why he drove past the main gates but then I recognise the private parking lot I had stumbled upon on my first day.

"How come no one parks here?" I saw all the cars lining up to enter through the main gates as we passed them.

"These spots are reserved for certain students." Theo explains as I looked over to the spot where I had seen that girl crying.

Then it suddenly seemed quiet.

I was aware of the silent tension building up in the car so in a panic, I rushed out of the car and entered the school  before Altheo could get out of his car.

He still manages to catch up to me. Placing his arm around and over my shoulder. I try shrugging it off but he pretends that nothing is happening. I eventually stop trying, realizing how stupid I probably looked.

Once again people are staring. My increased hearing picks up some whispers.

Is she the new kid?

She's probably another gold digger

"Why is everyone staring at us?" I ask Altheo.

"Cause you're in the presence of a god " he jokes.

"What's the real reason?" I ask again.

"I'm serious. I'm a god." He says once again. I stop walking and he stops too, facing me. I wait for him to explain.

"In bed." He adds. I roll my eyes. "Its normal to get stared at when you're with a lycan at this school." Theo says.

"Where?"I ask looking around. Looking back at Altheo, he has an -are you serious?- face on.

"Me. Athena it's me. I'm the lycan." He answers. I step back in shock. He pulls me back and wraps an arm around my shoulder again. Walking off to Goddess knows where.