Chapter 17: I Quit

I am drinking wine and eating chips. Yes, I'm that kind of person, not healthy, and that makes me not live more since I don't have anyone and I don't care. Yay. Well, I was a healthy person, but, but not anymore. When I get stressed I eat and eat and eat, which by the way is all the time since I came to New York.

I will not have Richard, I will not have children, nobody actually liked me when I was a child except Harry, but he was a friend. Best friend. I have nothing but a job.

So I'm having a breakdown and decided to sit down.

I'm crying in an aisle eating chips and drinking wine and have severe asthma. "Are you ok?" a sweet little child came and asked me "want some chips?" He nodded eagerly "I just need some sleep" he had the bag of chips in his lap "where is your mom?" "looking for pillows or something" I laughed "at 10 pm" "live my life" he groaned shaking his head "what's your name?" I asked the young boy sitting next to me "Theo" "Valentina" we shook our dirty hands "why are you crying? And I know it isn't because you want to sleep" He said "how old are you again?" "13" I chuckled "wise for your age" "I know" I smiled.

"So," he said trying to get me to speak "I had a bad day at work, my boss keeps giving me mixed signals, and I like him so much and I know I'm not good enough for him and he definitely doesn't like me" "wow, didn't expect that," he said crunching chips in his mouth "so, I don't know what to say," "the thing is he's bipolar and sometimes he's sweet and kind and then he switches all of a sudden" he laughed "like hulk" I chuckled when he said that "yes, just like him" I chuckled.

"He definitely likes you," he said, "what?" I gave him my attention, and I gave a 13-year-old my attention "he likes you, but he doesn't want to show it" "how?" I asked him "you see, when a man-" "a homeless lady, my lord, a drunk" I'm not homeless, nor a drunk "mom she's just crying, she's sad," "I'm sorry, I'm not homeless, oh forget it" I wanted him to continue but no, his mother had to come no-one can help me.

I bought my things and left.

I spend Saturday in the hospital and got out today. I had a hell of an asthma attack that made me rethink all my life choices. I am going to quit and return to England and that's final. At least when I die, I'll have Elena and she's going to bury me, Harry might be there. I am not looking forward to the last weeks in the hospital though. When they keep telling me 'you did this to yourself, you should've taken more care of yourself,' and Elena is in denial, I hate being in the hospital, it's a never-ending stare at the white walls.

I don't know why I came here to America, but that's just it, that's final, I'm leaving and never coming back. Not that I have a choice.

"Valentina" I looked behind me and saw the voice I sought the most yet hurt me most "Mr. Pierce, hello" I shuffled in my bag nervously "what are you doing here?" I sigh at the sentence, he always repeats "I didn't mean to say it in that context" he revised his sentence "I'm just getting my car" "I mean it's 2 am and still you are outside" he continued "should I be offended?" I joked, "I can drive you home since you can't seem to find your keys" "I'm fine," I blurted out, I didn't want to be near him because if I am I will love him more than I already do.

"They should be here somewhere in the bag, I need them." I groaned and opened my bag and threw all its' contents on the floor it's ok. "I'm going to help you" I shook my head "don't I'm fine, thank you" I found it "there they are" I went to the car and opened it, I threw my bag inside.

"Why don't you like to receive any help?" He asked offended "dude, I can ask you a lot of those questions but I'd rather not right now, I'm not in my mood and if I open, you will not be happy. Clear?" He nodded "but the supermarket stuff?" I looked behind me "it's gone" he chuckled at my reaction "maybe I left them inside, wait, I didn't buy anything" he nodded "ok" "so see you tomorrow?" I wanted to tell him that I'm not going back, why? I don't know. "I can't, I just can't and don't want to do this anymore," I said getting in my car and leaving. "Can't what? Can't what, Valentina?" He asked holding the door back.

"I'm breaking down every day waiting to continue fighting. Every, Single, Day. Not a day, do I give up, or stop. And here you are being the same ignorant, selfish, not understanding person you are. I don't know what else to do. I can't deal with this anymore," I said getting out of my car and not being an inch away from him "I'm not leaving you alone" "can't say I'm glad" "what?" He didn't understand me and I didn't understand myself either "leave me alone" tears began falling down my cheeks as I was trying to close my door. "you don't know me" he said, "and neither do you." I said "Tell me a reason, why I should stay and work with someone who yells at me the minute we met" "I'm your boss," he said, "ohh, really?" I asked he nodded as I got in my car "I quit" I said and closed the door beginning to drive away.