Chapter 36-Elora

Freya's Pov

"I think I'm gay, no, I know I'm gay. It means I want a divorce."

He didn't say anything and just stared at me for a good few seconds. Then he glanced down at the floor, letting a tear fall, and nodded.

"Okay."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay," he assured and placed a hand on top of mine. "We were friends before all this, let's be friends again."

I thought it through for a little while. In reality, I think I knew what was best for us both. It just felt mean to say no.

"I think it would be better for us both to not stay in contact."

"I get it."

"Do you hate me?" I asked, looking down at my lap.

"No. Do you? Hate me, I mean."

"I don't."

I stood up slowly, not uttering another word as I walked away, leaving him alone. The sniffs he let out didn't go unnoticed by me, yet, I didn't turn around. Wanting to leave this chapter of my life behind. Well, I still had to get a divorce, but almost over.

Rowan stayed seated and for a moment I almost thought he would follow me when I heard the chair creak. He didn't. I sighed in relief and continued. When I was finally out of the house it really hit me.

What would I do know?

College was almost over, I didn't want to annoy Wren by spending more time at his. But I also didn't want to go back and sleep in our house. Mother's place was an obvious no. For a moment, I contemplated driving all the way to Leona's house but quickly shut down that option. I didn't wanna be a burden to anyone.

Staying at a hotel or motel would get expensive quickly and being a college student, I really didn't have the money for that. Maybe I should have gone back and just slept in the house but honestly, I really didn't want to. I could spend some nights at a friends place but most of them lived in dorms and that wasn't very convenient. Besides, I didn't really have any friends who I was particularly close with.

In the end, I just opted for sleeping in my car when night time hit. Uncomfortable and slightly stupid since I had options? Possibly. Yet, I didn't regret it. Well, minus the back pain I woke up with, I considered it worth it. Which I guess you could say was stupid.

Elora had texted me sometime during the prior day and asked me to meet her at 11 am in a diner not too far away. So, albeit reluctantly, I drove there, and by the time I'd pulled up in a parking lot I was seriously considering ditching her. I ended up not and trudged into the diner.

There wasn't anything special to the diner, it just looked like every other diner. The theme seemed to be red and I must admit, it was quite cozy. In one of the booths, I spotted my sister fidgeting with something in her lap. I gathered myself before walking up to her, tapping her on the shoulder to earn her attention.

"Hey," she said softly.

I gave her a forced smile and sat down opposite to her. Not speaking a word yet. She was visibly uncomfortable and kept opening and closing her mouth like she was about to say something. It got annoying after a while.

"Spit it out."

Elora was caught off guard. "What do you mean?"

"I can tell you want to say something," I answered and crossed my arms.

"Look, I'm sorry."

"So you've said," I replied coldly, having had enough of her fake apologizes.