Chapter 77-Apologies

*brief hidden mentions of suicide and abuse*

Freya's POV
I stared at Micaela, squinting my eyes, as to will the answers out of her. She leaned back on the couch, arms crossed, avoiding my gaze. I gave up, knowing she wouldn't reveal anything unless I asked.

"Just tell me, did you talk to her?"

She bit her lip, humming. "Great, so tell me, what went down?"

"Well..."

Micaela was tapping her foot, impatiently waiting for the uber to pick her up. It was late and she wanted to get home as quickly as possible. The wedding had just ended so it was late.

She rubbed her arms together to preserve some warmth. The thin jacket she was wearing wasn't doing much to help the cold. All of a sudden, raindrops hit the ground. She sighed heavily, not wanting to deal with the rain too.

"Fucking hell," she mumbled under her breath.

"Care for some company?"

Micaela could never forget that voice/ Cameron. She turned around to face her, frowning at the sight of her, holding up an umbrella. The tie was gone and her brown hair was messier than it was earlier. Her makeup too.

"No, thank you. I'm good on my own."

Cameron chuckled, approaching her with the umbrella. She held it over their heads, inching closer so they were covered under it. Micaela took a step sideways, refusing to stand so closer to her ex who'd dumped her because she was too afraid of commitment.

"Look, Micaela," she started, inhaling and exhaling through her nose.

"You made it perfectly clear you wanted us to be over, what more is there to say? And don't tell me we can be friends, I can't do that. I'm sorry."

"I'm still in love with you, Micaela," he confessed, looking into her eyes.

"As you mentioned. I don't see how that matters because you broke up with me anyway. What was it about, being at different places in life? Such a bullshit breakup excuse. Tell me the real reason, Cameron."

"I-, I-, I'm scared, Micaela. That's the truth. All my past relationships have failed and I'm just not good with the whole commitment thing. I love you and it scares me."

She inhaled deeply, closing her eyes for a second then opening them and exhaling. This wasn't new information to her. Even if Cameron hadn't outright told her, she knew her well enough to know that she was afraid of commitment. It was obvious in her actions and words.

"I get that. But I can't do the whole," she gestured with her hands at them," whatever we were, again. I was fine with it at first but I want something serious. Since you've stated you can't give me that. Maybe you were right, maybe we are at different places right now."

"I want to try again. For real this time."

"I don't know, Cameron. If you're going to bail out whenever you're frightened, this won't work."

"I won't, I promise. I love you, Micaela. So much."

The uber pulled up and Micaela sighed in relief. She stepped into the car, sparing Cameron a glance. Cameron stared back, waiting for an answer.

"We'll see. I need some time for myself, to figure out if this is what I want. Are you okay with that?"

She nodded. "Okay, if that's what you want."