Chapter 57-Happier

Freya's POV
I hugged Micaela tightly, practically squeezing the air out of her. She pushed me away to catch her breath. I looked at her sadly, she was going to Wren's today. Since she wouldn't be at Jolene's anymore it also meant I could see her more often. But I'd grown used to having her here the past weeks. Though a positive aspect was that Leona could sleepover again.

"I'll miss you."

"Wren doesn't even live that far away."

"Yeah, yeah. Let me be soppy in peace."

She laughed. "You're weird but I love you and I'll miss you too. You've been more of a mother figure to me than Jolene ever was. Even if you're only six years older than me."

I smiled and embraced her again quickly then pulled away. "Okay, now. Go because Wren is waiting downstairs."

"Bye, Freya. Talk later?"

"Of course."

Then she left. I watched her go and let out a sigh. It had been a strange three weeks. Though I couldn't deny a part of me was happy Jolene kicked her out simply because it was a way out of there. Now she would be safe with Wren and that gave me a sense of relief.

Maybe it meant finally moving on.

***

*a few months later*

Graduate school was rather difficult. I was on my way to earn a master's degree now. And in around four years I would hopefully be a licensed therapist like I've wanted to be for years. Things were looking up in general. I was content and Leona was too.

I arrived home, exhausted after a long day only to be greeted by the sight of Leona. Ever since I'd given her a key to my apartment she'd been popping up now and then. Which I didn't mind.

She was wearing a suit so I figured she'd just gotten back from work as a recently employed real estate agent. I smiled at her and kissed her before setting down my stuff. I had a bunch of studying to do.

"Long day?"

I nodded. "Definitely."

"Well, I thought we could go out for dinner tonight."

I pouted. "I'm sorry but I can't. I have to study."

Disappointment etched onto her face but she wiped it away as fast as it appeared and put on a soft understanding smile. I felt guilty for not being able to spend as much time with her anymore as before but I needed to study.

"Right, studying. You quickly forget how time-consuming it can be."

"Yeah, sadly. Only two years compared to the four undergraduate years though. On the bright side."

She nodded and then all of a sudden brightened up. "You know what I just realized. We've known each other for over two years now. Isn't that crazy?"

I hadn't thought about that. "You're right. It was a difficult time in both of our lives. But I've matured a lot since then. I have you to thank for that."

Leona shook her head and linked her hands together behind my neck. "No. You have yourself to thank for that. I just helped you realize you were a raging lesbian."

I chuckled. "You're right. But to be fair I kind of knew before, though I suppressed it like hell like the idiot I was. You opened my eyes."