Chapter 84-Back

Freya's POV
Leona unlocked the door and stepped into our apartment for the first time since the baby arrived. In the living room her parents, her friends along with mine were sitting. Even Zarah was there. She smiled brightly but tiredly, embracing her family and friends. I was busy holding Joey so I only greeted everyone with a 'hi.'

"This is a surprise. How did you get in?" Leona wondered, sitting down on the couch next to her parents.

"You gave us the key to watch over Penny, remember?" Her mother reminded. "And Freya gave us permission to surprise you."

"Right, right. Sorry, I'm exhausted but it's nice to see you all, thank you for coming." She faced Zarah with a smile. "Especially you, Zarah. I can't believe you came all this way."

"I wouldn't miss this for the world."

I tuned out the rest of the conversation and approached my friends. Cameron had his arm wrapped around my younger sister, next to them Elora and her now fiancée, Raine, were standing. Noelle and Elio were on the right to them, chatting with Cyra.

"He's so adorable," Cyra cooed.

I smiled. "He is. And this little baby boy needs his nap, I'll be right back."

"Can I come with you?" Elora asked and I nodded in response.

She followed me into his nursery, looking around the yellow coated room, eyes landing on the crib in the corner. I walked towards it but was stopped by a hand on my shoulder.

"Could I hold him?"

"Of course, just be careful."

I carefully placed him in her arms, making sure she had a steady grip around him. When I was sure she did, I let go, letting her rock him. He cried at first but eventually stopped, seeming to grow more comfortable to be held by a stranger to him.

"Feel free to sit down on the rocking chair," I told her.

She did exactly that, slowly sitting down and leaning back on the chair. I watched her rock Joey, smile wide. He appeared to like her already.

"How are things with Raine?" I asked.

Her lips formed a smile. "Great. The wedding is in a few months so we're doing a lot of planning. I can't wait to marry her."

"That's good. I'm happy for you two. Besides that, how are you?"

I didn't miss the way her expression wavered. Suddenly I was worried something had happened. She's seen happy but something might have been bothering her regardless.

"What's going on?" I prompted.

"I'm not sure if I should bring it up."

"If it has to do with me, I can handle it, I promise."

"I saw Mother a few days ago, roaming around town," she blurted out.

My expression fell. Out of all the things I'd imagined she'd say, it wasn't that. I hadn't seen her in years and I was happy to never have stumbled into her somewhere. The last time I'd seen any of my remaining family was years ago when Kalen almost punched me in the grocery shop after I'd recently moved in with Leona. Since then, I hadn't heard a peep from them. It had been at least six or so years without any contact from my mother so the mention of her caught me off guard.

However, what she said next, shocked me to my core. "She noticed me and we talked. I noticed she looked out of it and she was acting oddly civil for someone whose daughter ghosted them and then went on to get together with a woman. Considering we were in public I wasn't shocked and I'd always been her favorite so it wasn't the most surprising thing. But she just sounded so tired. I'd never seen her like that. Not in public at least. It was unsettling. Then I noticed something, she wasn't wearing her wedding ring."