Chapter 34-Funeral

Freya's Pov

*panic attacks, death, sensitive topics*

I had been ignoring Rowan for over two weeks now, by ignoring I meant not returning or answering his calls or texts and staying at Wren's, his place was conveniently fairly close to my college. Simply because I didn't have the energy to. Wren was helping me find a therapist, he helped me realize I needed the help and it was a strength to seek out help. I'd never been able to, or felt like I need it. Mostly because I pretended I was fine so well, even I started to believe it. Part of me was ashamed that I needed it, that didn't just go away like that, but Wren's words and experience had certainly helped.

He'd offered to pay for it, which I refused at first but I was in college and didn't have the money for it, Mom or Dad wouldn't help, so eventually I gave in. I promised myself I'd pay him back someday. Wren also told me he'd help search for one. I didn't know how I'd ever repay him.

Currently, I was getting ready for Layla's funeral. Although I really didn't know her, the least I could do was be there for support. She meant the world to Leona and I'd heard the pain in her voice when we'd spoken over the phone.

College started not long ago, I was surprised I managed to attend but even more shocked that Leona did. We didn't really share any classes so I'd only spoken to her over the phone because we were both busy and quite frankly, she wasn't ready to see me and I understood.

Trying to convince her to take a few weeks of college was impossible. Leona was determined to complete these last months in college without missing any of it. Basically, she was drowning herself in homework and studying, as was I. Neither of us was okay. Yet, I felt guilty for some reason. But I pushed those feelings deep down, after all, that was what I was best at.

I washed my face, trying to wake myself up as I didn't get enough sleep the night prior. Leona hadn't called me today like she usually did. Which was understandable. I just hoped she was okay, or at least as okay as she could get.

She didn't deserve this. Any of it.

We hadn't really talked about her confession, it wasn't the right time to bring it up. Things had changed, though. Both of us noticed. Not only because of Layla passing away or my miscarriage and the mental state we were in but because it was simply slightly awkward each time we spoke. My bruises had thankfully healed, I didn't want her to see them.

A knock on the door snapped me back to reality. Wren stepped in with a hesitant smile. I beckoned him inside and watched him make his way towards me.

"Are you going to the funeral?"

"Yes. I'm about to head out now," I replied.

"Okay, stay safe."

"Is there any other reason you came in here?" I asked. It sounded like he was holding back something.

"Yeah. Rowan is kind of here," he revealed. My eyes widened in shock, how the hell did he find out I was staying here?

"What? In the apartment?"

"He's standing in the hallway, speaking to Dimitri," Wren answered and scratching his neck sheepishly.

I stormed past him, out to the hallway, and very well, Rowan was standing there with his arms crossed. Dimitri looked awkward, like he didn't know what to say. He let out a breath of relief when he spotted me and snuck away into his room.

"What are you doing here, Rowan?"

"I'm here to see you. You haven't been answering my calls and avoid me whenever I try to speak to you."