Eighty-Six

Mukhtasir ye ke achhe lagte ho
Taweel ye ki tumhari chahat ki dastaan lambi Hai

•••

The sun's golden rays filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow across the room. Ayat stood in front of the mirror, her reflection adorned in an intricately designed mint green and red churidaar that shimmered with every move. She adjusted the heavy dupatta on her shoulder and hesitated, her fingers hovering over a delicate necklace.

Hanan stood behind her, a bemused smile playing on his lips. He cleared his throat, "Tumhe nahi lagta yeh kuch zyada heavy ho gaya breakfast ke liye?"

(Don't you think this is a bit too heavy for breakfast?)

Ayat looked at his reflection in the mirror, a hint of annoyance in her eyes. "Mamma ne kaha tha, shadi ke dusre din yeh dress pehenna."

(Mamma told me to wear this dress on the second day of the wedding.)

"Haan lekin..." Before Hanan could respond, a soft knock echoed through the room.

(Yeah, but...)

Hanan went to open the door, it was Khushnuma, wearing a gentle smile.

"Uth gaye tum log?" Hanan moved aside, letting her enter.

(Have you woken up?)

"Masha'Allah, kitni pyari lag rahi ho." Her eyes fall on Ayat, and she clasped her hands together.

(Wow, you look beautiful.)

"Thank you, chachi." Ayat smiles.

"Chalo, Rubab bhabhi aur bhai agaye hain nashta leke... Ayat, beta thori si jewellery pehen lo."

(Come on, Rubab bhabhi and bhai have arrived with breakfast... Ayat, dear, put on some jewelry.)

Hanan looked at Ayat, she was wearing gold studd and ring. What else does Khushnuma wants?

Hanan's brows furrowed, and he stepped forward. "Pehni toh hai jewellery."

(She's already wearing jewelry.)

"Mera Matlab hai... tum chup hi raho... Ayat, ek minute." Khushnuma walked forward to the dresser and take out the jewellery box, helping Ayat to wear jewellery. Khushnuma also did minimal make up on Ayat's face.

(I mean... just stay quiet... Ayat, wait a minute.)

"Kangan bhi pehenlo, woh zyada pyare lagenge." When Ayat's hand moved toward the glass bangles, Khushnuma stopped her and told her. Ayat nods her head and did what Khushnuma said.

(Put on gold bangles too; they will look even prettier.)

"Mummy, walima shaam mein hai abhi nahi. Abhi se isko itna sab pehnane ka kya fyada? Nashta toh karne de isko sukoon se." Hanan interrupted, when saw the hesitation on Ayat's face.

(Mummy, the wedding reception is in the evening. What's the point of dressing her up so elaborately now? Let her have breakfast in peace.)

"Woh dulhan hai, zahir hai aise hi taiyyar hogi na woh. Aur waise bhi main kabhi na kehti yeh sab pehenne ko lekin niche tumhari dadi aur tayi jaan bhi hain, unhe bilkul achha nahi lagega agar shadi ke dusre din hi Ayat ko simple look mein dekha. Ayat, Walima ho jaye aur mehman chale jaye fir uske baad tum jisme comfortable hogi woh pehenna. Koi pabandi nahi." Khushnuma was talking to Hanan in scolding manner, but when she directed at Ayat, her voice become soft and tender.

(She's the bride; it's obvious she'll have to be ready like this. Besides, I never insist on her wearing all this, but downstairs, your grandma and rukhsar bhabhi are there. They won't like it if they see Ayat in a simple look on the second day of the wedding. Ayat, after reception, when the guests would leave, you can wear whatever you're comfortable in. No restrictions.)