Eighty-Two

His heart was beating so hard that it felt like it would come out. He was looking at the papers with wide eyes. Ayla didn't sign? Why? And why didn't she tell him?

Slowly, he put the papers back from where he found them and left her room.

Many emotions came into his heart, and they were not letting him breathe. Kaif doesn't know how he reached his room in this blank state of mind, he just locked the door of his room and went to sit on the bed.

Why she didn't sign? She was the one who wanted separation, then why she did this? And who else know? Frustration build in him, as he hold his head in his hands.

He was feeling a mix of emotions. On one hand, he was hurt that she never signed the papers and didn't even bother to inform him this. On another hand, he was feel relieved that he has a chance to reconcile with her and could fix their relationship.

•••

"Papa," Knocking on the door of his parents' room door, Kaif stood on the doorway.

"Kaif? Come in, kya hua?" Huzaifa was reading a book, which he put down, while Rukhsar, who was braiding her hair, also looked surprised.

(What happened?)

"Apse baat karni thi..." Coming in, Kaif said to Huzaifa.

(I need to talk to you...)

"Kya hua, Kaif?" Rukhsar stood up, and asked, looking worried for him. What does he wants to talk about at this hour?

(What happened, Kaif?)

"Woh..." Kaif took a deep breath out, but he couldn't find the perfect word how to talk to his parents about this matter.

(Actually...)

"Kya hua, Kaif? Baitho," Huzaifa points at the chair. Obediently, Kaif sat down. "Batao, kya baat karni hai?"

(What happened, Kaif? Sit down.)

(What you want to talk about?)

"Ay.. Ayla aur mera..."

(About Ayla and me...)

"Kya hua Ayla ko?" Rukhsar sat beside Huzaifa and asked.

(What happened to her?)

"Ayla aur mera khula nahi hua hai." He finally got the word out.

(Ayla and I are not separated.)

"Kya?" Huzaifa and Rukhsar asked together.

(What?)

"Kaisi baat kar rahe ho? Tumne toh sign kiya tha na." Rukhsar asked.

(What are you saying? You signed those papers.)

"Usne sign nahi kiye."

(She didn't sign.)

"Tumhe kaise pata chala?" She again asked.

(How do you know that?)

"Azrin ke sath tha.. paper dekha maine..."

(I was with Azrin... I saw the papers...)

"Iska matlab..." Rukhsar looked at Huzaifa, doubtfully, but he was equally surprised as her. "Agar aisi baat hai toh hume kisi ne bataya kyu nahi? Azlan aur Rubab itni badi baat kaise chupa sakte hain? Aur fir..." She asked to Huzaifa.

(Which means...)

(Why no one told us this? How can Azlan and Rubab hide this from us? And then...)

"Rukhsar, puri baat toh sunn lijiye. Kaif, iss silsile mein Ayla se koi baat hui?" Huzaifa stopped Rukhsar from talking, and asked to Kaif.