Thirty Nine

How's the new cover? Or previous one was better?? 😁

<><><>

Lathe di chadar
Utte saleti rang mahiya
Aawo sahmne, aawo sahmne
Kolon di russ ke na lang mahiya...

All the rituals were done. That's why gents left for the lawn while ladies stared their singing and dancing session.

Ayat was sitting beside Ayla on the jhula, enjoying the dance of her cousins and appreciating them by clapping her hands.

Ayla's cheeks, nose and forehead were covered in haldi but this was nothing. Before the ending of function, the bride's paternal aunt is supposed to apply the haldi properly on her for glowing skin. This ritual would happen at the very last moment. Right now, Ayla was also enjoying the dance. But she was laughing and clapping her hands carelessly like Ayat.

"Dusre hath mein churhi kyu pehni hai?" Ayla whispered in Ayat's ear.

(You are not wearing bangles in the right hand?)

"Woh..." Ayat looked at her hands, seeing the pink, glittery bangles, the memory of how she wore it flashes in front of her, as red tint again appears on her cheeks.

(I...)

"Woh... bas Ammi Jaan ke kehne pe pehen liya. Waise bhi ek hath mein zyada achhi lag rahi hain." She confusingly said, trying to hide her embarrassment.

(I... I just wore it because of Ammi Jaan... I think it looks beautiful only in one hand.)

"Dono hatho mein aur pyara lagega. Bole Hanan ko dusre hath mein bhi pehnane ke liye?" Ayla's voice was very low so no one could hear her beside Ayat.

(It will look more beautiful in both hands. Should I tell Hanan to put bangles in your other hand too?)

"Aapi!" Ayat whined making Ayla laugh.

"Dono sath mein bohot pyare lagte ho." Ayla pinched her cheek.

(You look lovely together.)

"Aapi,"

"Achha kuch nahi bolte hum. Aap jaiye, aap bhi dance kariye." Ayat's nose cringed on Ayla's demand.

(Okay, fine, I won't say anything. Why don't you dance too?)

"Ayat!" Before Ayat could reply to Ayla, someone tap on her shoulder, making her look in front of her. Before Ayat could properly see the person, the person smeared yellow paste of haldi on her face.

Ayat could only gasp, her eyes shut tightly due to the haldi on her face.

"Nafeesa!" Ayla happily called her while getting up.

"Ayla!" Nafeesa matches with her excitement and hugged her tightly.

"Nafeesa aapi!" Ayat grumbles as she wipes the haldi from her face, but the yellow stain did not leave her face.

"Sorry, Ayat! par hume laga ki dulhan ko toh sab haldi laga rahe hain. Hum unke haldi kyu na lagaye jo second number par hain shaadi ke liye." Breaking the hug from Ayla, Nafeesa apologetically said. But there was not any trace of sincerity in her laugh.

"Aap bhi humara hi mazak banaiye sabki tarah." Ayat couldn't help but complain.

(You are also teasing me like everyone else.)

"Aap itni sweet si hain toh usme humari kya galti." Pinching Ayat's cheeks, Nafeesa asked.

(I can't help it.)