Eighty-Three

The aroma of freshly brewed tea filled the air. Rukhsar carefully poured tea into delicate cups, her graceful movements a testament to years of practiced routine. Rehnuma sat on a chair by the wooden table, her thoughtful gaze drifting towards her mother, her mind a whirlwind of emotions.

"Mummy, apko Saman yaad hai?" Rehnuma asked, her fingers tracing patterns on the tabletop. She recently got to know that she is two months pregnant, and everyone in the house were thrilled. Rukhsar didn't even allow her to lift even a finger, but she still followed after her mother to the kitchen to talk about Kaif.

(Do you remember Saman?)

"Kon?" Rukhsar glanced up from the tea, and asked. She placed the teapot down with a gentle clink.

(Who?)

"Meri college ki dost." Rehnuma tried to remind her mother.

(My college friend.)

"Woh curly hair wali?" Twirling her hair in her finger, Rukhsar asked, as if this will make her hair curled up.

(The one who had curly hair?)

Excitedly, Rehnuma nods her head.

"Haan, kya hua?" Placing biscuits in plate, Rukhsar asked.

(Yes, what happened?)

"Uski choti behen hai Kinza, Shyra ki age ki hogi shayad... bohot pyari hai. Maine toh uske bachpane mein dekha tha, uss din mall mein takra gaye toh firse dekha. Mujhe toh bohot achhi lagi." Rehnuma was excitedly blabbering.

(Her sister Kinza must be of Shyra's age... she is very pretty. I saw her in her childhood, I bumped into her that day in mall, I liked her.)

And Rukhsar, who was listening to her daughter's talk with a smile, got shocked when heard her next sentence. "Aap kahe toh main baat karu Saman se uske rishte ke liye?"

(If you say can I talk to Saman about Kinza's proposal?)

"Kya? Kiska rishta?" Turning to Rehnuma, she asked.

(What? What proposal?)

"Kaif ke liye."

(Kaif's proposal.)

"Rehnuma, tumse kaha tha iss silsile mein baat nahi hogi." Rukhsar looked at the doorway, afraid someone might eavesdrop, then she turned to Rehnuma to scold her.

(Rehnuma, I told you not to talk about this anymore.)

"Par kyu? Kya Kaif ki shadi nahi hogi? Ayla dusri shadi karle aur Kaif aise hi rahe?"

"Rehnuma, competition nahi chal raha hai."

(Rehnuma, it's not a competition.)

"Lekin Kaif ka hamesha akele rehna bhi toh theek nahi." Irritatedly, Rehnuma told her.

(But it's not about the competition, I just don't want Kaif to be alone.)

"Uski fikar na karo, Ayla aur Kaif ka waise bhi khula nahi hua hai." Rehnuma has totally forgotten about tea. Picking the cups, Rukhsar placed it in tray and told her.

(Don't worry about that. Kaif and Ayla are still married.)

"What? Kaise?"

(How?)

"Ayla ne sign nahi kiya."

(Ayla never signed those paper.)

"Aur yeh... ab sabko maloom hua?" Rehnuma become more confused by this.