Fifty-Seven

Rukhsar entered her room in dark, the conversation which she just had with Kaif was replaying in her mind.

What word did I used that I hadn't heard from you? It was her fault? She never wanted her son's marriage to fall apart, she only wanted his happiness, what wrong she did?

When Ayla was born, she knew Huzaifa wanted Kaif to marry her, and that's the one thing Rukhsar didn't want. She never wanted Rubab's daughter to become her daughter-in-law, that's why she never liked Ayla,

Ayla good qualities were overlooked by her resentment. And that's why she used to find fault in everything Ayla did. Never knowing this will be one day came back to haunt her.

Rukhsar sat on her bed, leaning her head to the headrest of the bed, she took slow and steady breath in and out to calm her heart, but no use, there was a turmoil in her heart. Beside her Huzaifa was sleeping.

Looking at him, she recalled the past. Huzaifa treated her with respect always, she never had any complaints from him, until Azlan got married to Rubab. Where Huzaifa and her marriage was arranged, Azlan's marriage was love, obviously he treated Rubab as some royalty. Where's Azlan never let Rubab take a glass of water by herself, Rukhsar used to do the household chores despite having maids. Azlan used to take Rubab out for dinners or outing, seeing them like that made her realise how Huzaifa and she never had it. Going out for dinner? She never had any meal with him alone, he always involves his family in everything.

The jealousy in her heart soon turned into hatred for Rubab, and that's why she never liked her daughters. And now, her hate has ruined her son's marriage.

Rukhsar didn't know when she started crying, but her sobs wake Huzaifa.

"Rukhsar?" Turning on the side lamp, he sat up. "Kya hua?" He got worried.

(What happened?)

Wiping her tears, Rukhsar quickly shook her head negatively.

"Aap Kaif aur Ayla ka soch rahi hain?" He asked.

(You are thinking about Kaif and Ayla?)

"Pareshaan mat ho, Insha'Allah sab theek ho jayega." He put his arm around her to comfort her.

(Don't worry. Everything will be okay.)

•••

"Ayla, main janti hoon Kaif ne jo kiya sahi nahi hai. Koi bhi larki apne kirdaar pe dagh bardasht nahi kar sakti. Lekin kya tum uski yeh ek galti maaf nahi kar sakti?" Rukhsar asked to Ayla.

(Ayla, I know what Kaif did was not right. No women can tolerate anyone questioning her character. But can't you forgive his one mistake?)

In her heart there was guilt and remorse. If she thinks about everything from a woman's pov, she knew what Kaif did wasn't right and it isn't something which a woman can forgive easily. But she is a mother, her love for her son compelled her to request Ayla to forgive Kaif.

"Tayi ammi, yeh unki ek galti nahi hai. Jabse humari shadi hui hai, shayad kuch hi pal honge jab hum khush rahe honge, baki ke sarey din hume sirf aur sirf humara jhagarna yaad hai. Mummy jewellery leke ayi thi tum ghar pe kyu nahi thi, Rehnuma se tumne aisa kyu kaha, tum har waqt apne ghar pe kyu rehti ho. Hospital jana itna zaroori hai ki tum rishtedar ke yaha nahi ja sakti." Ayla recalled some of the reasons why her and Kaif used to argue.

(Tayi ammi, this isn't his only mistake. Since we got married, there were very less moments of happiness between us, most of the time we were always arguing. Mummy brought jewelleries for you why weren't you at home? Why did you talk to Rehnuma like that? Was going to hospital was more important that you couldn't go to relative's house?)