Sixty-Eight

Muddat hui hai bichrhe hue apne aap se
Dekha jo tumko to hum yaad agaye

•••

"Kya?" Naziya Begum's voice was full of shock and offence.

(What?)

"Sadgi se hoga sab?" She looked at her only daughter with displeasure.

(All functions will happen with simplicity?)

"Ammi, Kazim chahte hain ki shadi sadgi se ho, unke yaha toh aise hi hota hai aap janti hain," Hamna said, sulking, as she pours tea into cups for herself and Naziya Begum.

(Ammi, Kazim wants this wedding to happen with simplicity. And you already know that's what happens in his family.)

They were in Naziya Begum's room because she called Hamna here to discuss the functions of Shyra's wedding. But when Nazuya Begum heard Nikkah will happen in simplicity, she was beyond shock.

"Haan toh unke yaha hota hoga, humare yaha toh saalgirah bhi ho toh pure sheher ko dawat dete hain. Meri iklouti nawasi ki shadi sadgi se hogi? Kabhi nahi."

(Yeah so it happens in his family. In our family, we invites the whole city even its birthday. And my granddaughter's marriage will happen with simplicity? Never.)

"Shadi toh wahi se hogi na." Passing cup the Naziya, Hamna told her.

(But her marriage will happen from there.)

Naziya Begum sipped her tea, then said. "Bilkul nahi. Shyra ki shadi yaha se hogi, Barat yaha ayegi."

(Obviously not, Shyra's wedding functions will happen here, barat will come here.)

"Main bhi toh yahi chahti hoon, ammi." Hamna finally comes to her point. She was waiting for Naziya Begum's opinion, and now when she knows they share the same opinion, she was happy.

(That's what I want, Ammi.)

"Lekin Kazim ko pata nahi kya ho gaya. Kaha itne saal mein kabhi hume force nahi kiya gaov jane ke liye, ab toh unka bas nahi chalta ki ek minute ke liye apni ammi ko na chorhe. Chahte hain Sarey functions wahi se ho." Resentfully, Hamna said.

(I don't know what happened to Kazim. He never forced us to go to village before. But now, he doesn't want to leave his mother for one minute. He wants all function to happen there.)

"Larke walo ke sarey function honge na waha. Shyra ke sarey functions yahi honge. Bhale se shadi ke baad tum log wapas chale jana gaov. Lekin Shyra ki shadi yahi se hogi. Kazim aaj aye toh hum unse baat karte hain." Naziya Begum declared.

(So groom's function will happen there. But All the function of bride's will happen here. You can shift there again after wedding. I will talk to Kazim about it.)

Hamna becomes happy with her decision, and now she happily drank her tea.

•••

Ayat was in Azlan's study when a maid comes there, telling her that Khushnuma is calling her.

This confused Ayat. Khushnuma, just like Hanan, is not talking to her. Why is she calling her now? Then Ayat's eyes widened thinking Khushnuma is calling her to scold her for what she did to Hanan.

With slow steps, Ayat knocked on the door of Khushnuma's bedroom.

"Ajao!" Khushnuma was sitting on the sofa, reading a magazine, putting it down, she points at Ayat to sit in front of her.

(Come in!)

Ayat did as she was asked, sitting in front of Khushnuma, she looked around the room, hesitated to speak first.