Season 4/Chapter 22: Broken Toys

Previously on The Walking Dead. While searching for a place to call home, AJ, Clementine and Y/n found an old boarding school, run by some kids, deep in the forest. Their leader was a guy named Marlon. Marlon turned out to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. And AJ pulled the trigger on him. However, he was told he was justified for killing him. The other kids didn't see it that way.

They voted to kick them out. They thought they'd never return. Then... the three were attacked by Abel, one of the raiders Marlon had given the twins to. He was with two people neither Y/n or Clem thought they would ever see again. Lilly, a woman who was from their first group that had tried to kill Carley and Evelyn, Y/n's mother who he thought was long dead. They were almost eaten by walkers, when suddenly... one of them spoke to them. His name was James. A former Whisperer who didn't believe in killing walkers. 

He helped them treat AJ, but without actual medicine, he wouldn't make it. The kids didn't turn away the sad sight of AJ, and let the three back inside. After Clementine and Y/n told them how they could defend the school against the raiders, they were willing to let them stay. At least until the fight. During that time, Y/n also had a conversation with his mother where they talked over a lot of the stuff he went through among other things. It was apparent they very much still loved each other, even after so many years and the two changing in some ways, they were still family. Evelyn had even developed powers of her own, similar to Y/n, but smoke instead of intense fire.

Sometime later, Y/n and Clem had followed Violet up to the belltower where the three would soon become a couple. Still completely loyal and faithful to each one another, but now with Violet as they're final companion, too. Soon the raiders finally came and burst open the gates, but the kids stayed hidden as planned. Until Tenn ran out of cover, hoping for a chance to learn about his missing sisters. 

The bomb went off, and attempting to save Tenn, Mitch threw himself at Lilly, and got a knife to the throat. During the fight, Y/n & Evelyn clashed repeatedly with Y/n finding out about seastone, but more importantly that he has a little sister. The raiders are holding her prisoner so Evelyn will work for them. Her name and age weren't told to him, but a little kid surrounded by adults is going to stand out. After their fight and things were going down, without a second to think, they chose to save Violet over Louis as both were being dragged away. They got away with three of the group. And they had no idea where they'd gone. But they knew someone who did and it is Abel of course 

(Courtyard) (Y/N Pov.)

The sun is up and has been for a bit, but it's barely dawn. After everything that happened last night the school is a bit of a wreck with our gate kicked down and the balcony on the school's broken. Clem and I are walking through the courtyard by one another as we hear Willy crying over Mitch who got shanked in the neck by Lilly last night. He's holding Mitch's hand and cloth cover's his face so no one has to see it. Ruby is digging a grave for him with a shovel from that garden shack out back. 

Willy: Mitch... I-I...

We walk over to him and he focuses on Mitch, but speaks to us. 

Willy: At the start, I was so little, a Mitch looked after me. People said he was a dick sometimes, but he was always nice to me. And now... now he's gone. Stabbed in the eye by some asshole who never even knew his name.

Clementine puts her hand on Willy's shoulder.

Clementine: Look, I promise you, Willy, the people who did this? We're going to hit them back. They're gonna regret ever coming near us.

Y/n: Yeah. But in the meantime, you're going to have to pull yourself together. I know it's hard, but just think what Mitch would do if he were in your shoes.