Chapter 40

The dark skies continued to downpour. Puddles flooded the soggy yard, the battlefield, and the sobs of children faded into the distance as their mothers carried them away to the safe house. The scent of mangy rouge was so strong, anyone would have thought the creatures were on the territory. However, they were not on the territory. They were far from it. But we could smell them. We could hear them. The patter of the paws as the ran through the trees in full speed. There were so many of them, that's why the smell was so pungent.

The day was fit for war. Lightning cracked, striking the ground and setting the grass aflame.  The bile in my throat rose as I watched the pack children run away, grasping their mothers hands tightly with tears in their eyes. The men hugged their mates, their mothers, their siblings and their friends. Women did the same, but they weren't afraid of showing to fear and sadness that they were feeling. Ryder and Star were standing by my sides as we watched the pack move like ants. "So this is it," Ryder said. "It could all end today."

"Do think like that! No! Today is the day we fight for our peace and our Luna." Star concluded with a concentrated look on her face.

Frankie walked out onto the balcony and placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm fighting. Don't say no, because it's already been decided." I clenched my jaw and nodded. If it was what he wanted to do, then so be it. Without warning, my brother hugged me. With his arms wrapped around me and his mouth lingering by my ear, he whispered, "I love you, little sis."

"Love you too," I mumbled back. Blaze was pacing back and forth, cluttering my mind, her anger radiating. New scents filled the air, temporarily masking the rogue odor. I pushed myself away from my brother as two packs appeared through the trees. "Who are they?"

"Remember the guy that protected your sister?" Ryder asked. "Well, that's his pack to the right. The one on the left... I actually have no idea."

I shoved away from the banister of the balcony and back into the house. I marched my way down the stairs and down to the field. I greeted the Wilde pack with an appreciative nod, but went straight to the unknown pack. A woman and two men stood ahead of the pack. The alpha stepped forward with a guilty look on his face. "Luna Calypso, I presume?"

"Yes. I am assuming Logan called you, otherwise you should know that we are about to go into a war and we don't really have time to sit and talk." I crossed my arms and glared at the frowning man.

"We are here to fight for you," The woman pleaded, trying to break out of her husbands hold. "Please, just let me see her!" Pushing him away, she slowly came towards me, looking at me like it was the first time in months that she's seen me.

Logan suddenly appeared and shoved me behind him, "I told you not to bring them, Conroy! Now is not the time!"

"Guilt has been eating away at me for eighteen years, Alpha Lakota. The least you could do is let the girl meet them. If anything, let us fight by your side in the war, as a final wish." The man was begging as Logan glared at the woman, who was still staring.

"Please," the woman cried, "We've been searching for her for years. Just let us meet her, please!"

Holding Logan's hand, I cleared my throat, "Logan, who are they looking for?"

His jaw was clenched as he stared down Alpha Conroy. "You, Tyler. They're looking for you."

"Why? Who are you?" I asked, but I didn't leave my place from behind my mate.

"Sweetie," the woman stepped forward but Logan growled, making her stop. "Darling, we're your parents."

My face scrunched up in confusion, "No you're not. My parents are with the pack elders and children."

"Biological parents," Alpha Conroy stated. "See, when I was younger my mate fell pregnant with my pup. Out of insanity, she killed her a moment after birth. Any sight of a baby sent me into fits of rage, so when I saw you, I snapped. I took you and sent you far away along with many other of my pack's children. I am so sorry." I stared at him.

I didn't have time for anything like this. We were at war and they decide to show up and throw my focus off? How about no. "Maybe we could discuss this some other time. As you can see, people are preparing for war."

Conroy nodded, "I completely understand. We will fight with you, our loyalty lays with your Luna." His head bowed, followed by the heads of his pack.

"Thank you," I bowed my head respectfully in return.

Logan stood up straighter, "Find Beta Ryder, he will inform you as to-"

A shrill howl erupted from the forest behind us. Thousands of howls echoed, making chills run up my spine. The rogues were here.

It was time.

To be continued...