21. Sometimes, Obnoxious Morons Can Actually Change And Become Obnoxious Idiots.

I was in the basketball court, sitting on the bleachers, and watching Milo play basketball by himself.

He'd been moody lately. He said it was because he had some shit going on, but I knew it was just because Charlie wasn't talking to him anymore.

He might be a self centered prick sometimes, but I knew that he liked her.

And that bitch was probably framing her. But why?

He throws his basketball to the other side of the court, then comes to sit next to me, all sweaty.

"How was that?" He pants.

"Horrible. Work on your form." I say, flicking his ear. He just chuckles and wipes his sweat with his shirt.

"Y'know, if you hadn't been nice to me all those years ago, I probably would have hated you."

"Aww, I love the effect I have on people." I say, ruffling his hair. "How's it going with Char?"

"She hasn't talked to me yet." He says, his smile going sour. "She still thinks I cheated and made her come second."

"I'm sorry, dude. There's nothing I can do about it. Char's a force of nature. A sciency force of nature."

He drinks a bottle of water, and I watch the ripples along his throat.

To be honest, if we hadn't been best friends for long enough, I would have dated him.

Not like I haven't tried. We dated for about a month back when we were freshmen, but it didn't work out.

At all.

It was so chaotic and unnatural, so we just decided to stay friends. And we did.

But Charlotte didn't know that. I hope she didn't think I was a threat or something. Milo was too idiotic for me.

And anyway, I couldn't be the one to ruin their jock-nerd stereotype.

"Sapphire? Could you come over here for a minute?" A voice from below me says.

I look down and see Charlotte, trying her best not to look at Milo. He bites his tongue and looks away too.

I walk down the bleachers and meet Charlotte holding her books in her hands.

"What's up?"

"Rachel. She pushed me and she said she would tell her mom and she would give me a suspension cause she owned the place."

"How does her mom own a public high school?"

"I don't know!" She says, brushing a strand of her curly brown hair behind her ear. "But she could be a threat to my perfect record!"

I sigh. She really was a huge nerd.

"Don't worry, Char, I'll handle it." I say, and she hugs me. The final bell rings, and school's over.