16. Always Blame Your Ex For A First Degree Felony.

Okay.

I was fucked.

I thought I was fucked when I was being hunted and almost murdered multiple times by a trained assassin, but that's nothing compared to this.

I was hiding behind a counter, in a dingy restaurant I shouldn't even be in, and my ex was staring me down.

What would someone without mental issues do in this situation?

For a moment, I thought about pulling the old, "look over there!", and making a run for it.

But I couldn't do that. There was nothing to look at.

Everything was fucking purple.

"Uhh, hi." I say, an awkward smile on my face.

Trevor just stands there awkwardly, then walks back into the kitchen.

The traitor.

I stand up from behind the counter, and dust my clothes off.

"I-i didn't know you were still around.. how have you been?" He asks, scratching the back of his head.

"Fine." I say, my voice tight. I look anywhere except his face.

"Sapphire, I-"

"Save it. I'll just- I'll just go." I say, walking out from behind the counter and heading towards the entrance.

Davon steps out of the kitchen, holding Trevor's phone.

"Sapphire? I got it if you need proof!" He yells, walking towards me.

Trevor runs out of the kitchen and tackles him, and I crack a small smile. Then I look at him again, and my smile disappears.

I leave the restaurant.

Ughh! Why did he have to show up now? Now of all times? When I was finally starting to get over him.

I stand outside the restaurant for a minute, my hands clenched into fists.

I wanted to punch a wall, but I backed out at the last minute because I valued my knuckles.

I heard the door open, and I was about to make a run for it. Again.

"Sapphire, wait!"

I turn around, and he's standing there.

He's standing right there.

"What do you want, Hugo?"

"Can we-can we talk?"

"I'm not ready to talk to you." I say, shuffling my feet.

My voice was low, and I felt really uncomfortable. I saw Trevor looking at me through one of the windows.

"Okay. That's fine. But could we, maybe, meet up one of these days? Just to talk, I promise."

I bit my tongue. I didn't want to talk to him at all. I didn't even want to see him after what he did.

But I had to get over him somehow. Even though I despised him.

"Fine. But just one time." I say, looking away, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear. "Next week. At Neon." I say, pointing to the signboard.

"I don't think anyone could miss that."
He says, offering a small smile. I don't smile back.

"Well, bye." I say, turning around and walking as fast as I could.

"Bye."

Why did I say yes?

Why did I like making insanely stupid decisions?

Now, I had to talk to Hugo. I didn't want to talk to Hugo!

I walked home, scowling.

I was better than this. I was finally getting over him.

What went wrong?

When I got home, I went straight to my room and took a hot shower.

When I was done, I went downstairs to raid the fridge for a bucket of chocolate ice cream, so I could go up to my room and watch the first season of vampire diaries for the 700th time.

I had to reevaluate my entire life. In the timespan of a month, I had almost been killed thrice, I had a strange feeling that my best friends liked each other, and some idiotic waiter had just appeared in my life.

And Hugo was back.

Right when I thought I was on the verge of having a mental breakdown, I got a text.

From Trevor.

Fries dude🍟

You okay?

Yeah. Why do you suddenly care?

I don't care. You just left without a word. I thought you were having an aneurysm or something.

You're such a moron.

You're such an idiot. Who is that guy anyway?

He's a convicted criminal. He burnt down my old house when I was 7, and he kidnapped me once and forced me to watch Riverdale on repeat.😞

Really?

Yeah, he just escaped from Alcatraz. That's why I was so dramatic when he walked into the restaurant 😀.

He's your ex, isn't he?

Damn, your good.

What did he do? Leave you for your sister?

I wish. I don't like talking about it though.

That's okay. Who would wanna be with you anyways?

My mom!

Isn't it supposed to be my mom?

It's a reference to muscle man, moron.🙄

Don't call me moron, idiot.

Well, I'll stop calling you a moron if you stop calling me an idiot, moron!

But you are an idiot!

Then you're a moron!

I smile a bit, then my smile drops.

What am I doing?

I end the conversation and drop my phone on my bedside table.

I didn't sleep at all that night. Not like it was new.

For the most part, I was texting with Charlotte, since she was up late reading for one of her many, many, MANY, extra exams.

And she actually seemed to like having extra things to study.

In my opinion, if we all dedicated the time we use for studying, to solve world hunger or something, I'd be smarter doing that than whatever school is doing to me.

And Katniss wouldn't have any games to play anymore.

Author's note.
Thank you all for 200 views❤️. It means sooo much to me that you've read so far and have helped me reach here. Hope you enjoyed this chapter🩷.

Love,
Kayla🙈

#16.What do you call a smiling Roman soldier the day after his wedding?

A glad-he-ate-her.