42

Once I get home I text Lila 'What the hell was that in the office? Why the hell would you kiss me and call me baby? And why the hell say we love each other?' After sending the text I throw my phone down on my bed. This is so fucked up and I know my relationship or lack of with Lauren is over before we even get started. She will probably kick me out after all this. I deserve it though. Her life was perfect before I ever moved to San Antonio. I get here and I'm like a bull in a china shop. I have wrecked everything.

After about 10 minutes, my phone goes off. I check and see Lila had responded. 'Well you seemed like you were trying to convince that dude that I was your girlfriend. So I decided to play the part to make it believable. Just be glad my actual girlfriend wasn't there to see that. She would be really pissed even though it was fake. Now you've got to tell me what the hell was going on.'

After reading Lila's text I wonder if I should tell her the truth but I want to talk to Lauren first. So I text Lila 'Well I guess thanks for helping me out but the kiss, pet name and saying we love each other was not necessary. I can't say anything right now about what was going on. Hopefully soon I can tell you, just be patient please.' Once I send that last text to Lila, I decide to lay down.

I don't know when I dozed off or how long I have been sleeping but I am woken up to the front door slamming. I jump up off the bed because I know it's Lauren. I dread going out there and facing her but I know I have to. I have to clear everything up and convince her that Lila is not my girlfriend since she seemed to believe it. I take a few deep breaths to steady my breathing. My heart is beating so fast I can feel it in my ears. One last breath and I open my door to go find Lauren.

I get to the living room and Lauren is sitting on the couch with her head in her hands. I clear my throat before speaking and her head pops up from her hands. Her eyes are red and so are her cheeks and I can tell she has been crying. I open my mouth to speak but she holds her hand up to stop me.

Lauren releases a shaky breath and says, "You skipped your last class Kyler. Why?" I move and go sit beside her but she gets up and turns with her back to me. I can't help but glance at her ass especially since it is eye level. I know this is not the time to be checking her out. I shake my head to clear my thoughts. I sigh, "Lauren, I just couldn't be there anymore today. I had to get out of there. I definitely could not concentrate so there was no way I could sit through my last class."

Lauren turns around "you are just like your father. Lie and cheat to get what you want. And here I was stupid enough to believe another Adams. God what is wrong with me? Let's make it through these last few days until graduation and then I think it will be best for you to go. Go back to Pensacola or maybe move in with your girlfriend."

Lauren turns to walk away but I reach and grab her wrist as I stand up. I pull her to me with a little force. Once her body crashes into mine I wrap my arms around her to hold her there. She tries to push me away but I'm too strong for her. With my mouth close to her ear I say, "I'm not letting you go. I'm not letting you go until you agree to hear me out. Please just listen to me first. Please." I hear her sniffle then she says with a shaky breath "okay."

I release her, grabbing her hand and pull her to the couch to sit. When she sits down, I sit next to her and take both of her hands in mine. "Thank you for agreeing to listen to me. And just know that after I'm done talking to you if you still want me to leave I will. I will leave in the morning and go back to Pensacola and repeat my senior year if you want me gone. I honestly don't know if I can make it until graduation if you decide you still want me to go."

I take in a deep breath and release it. "Okay, first of all, I'm nothing like my father. If you think that I am then you don't really know me or actually love me. That really hurt because I despise him for everything he has done to my mom and especially what he has done to you. Now, as far as Lila goes, she is not my girlfriend. She has never been my girlfriend and never will be. I don't like her like that and she doesn't like me like that plus she has a girlfriend." Lauren starts to say something but I shake my head and say "let me finish please."

Lauren nods her head then I continue talking. "It was stupid of me to say she was my girlfriend but it was spur of the moment thinking to keep you from getting into trouble because of my fuck up. That was the only thing I could think of. I should have knocked on your door before busting in and should never have come in calling you babe. That was stupid of me and I'm sorry for putting you in that situation. You are the only one I want as a girlfriend if you will still have me."

I let go of one of Laurens hands so I could grab my phone. Unlocking it, I open the text messages from Lila and hand my phone to her. "Please, read the messages between me and Lila. She played along to make it believable. No, she doesn't know about us but she said that it seemed important for me to be trying to convince Mr. Jones she was my girlfriend so she went with it. The whole kissing my cheek and baby thing and us loving each other was her doing just to help make it believable. It even caught me off guard."

I lean in and kiss Lauren softly on the cheek then stand up. "I'm going for a drive to give you time and space. When I get back, I will listen to you if you want to talk. I love you so much Lauren and I hope you know that. I want a relationship with you and I only want to be with you but I will not force you to be with me if it's not what you want. And if you truly want me gone then I will leave and I promise to not cause you any problems." I grab my keys and wallet and close the door behind me, leaving Lauren with my phone in her hands.