|39| Allies, Friends & Foes

Ben's P.O.V. (D7)

It is quite awkward in this train right now. Everyone seems on edge, despite us having held hands less than an hour ago at the reaping. All five of us are just sitting across from each other, unsure of what to say.

I think Levi and the girls can sense this too.

"So," I clear my throat. "Do any of you want to be allies?"

It's deathly quiet for about a minute.

"I was thinking of just going in by myself." Sapphire shrugs.

"Oh..." I trail off.

Silence again.

"Let's just skip this awkward part and agree that we're acquaintances, okay?" Midnight says. The rest of us nod our heads.

"I'm gonna go to my room, it's getting kind of late." Sapphire yawns.

"Yeah, me too. We're gonna need a good nights sleep for tomorrow." Midnight adds. After walking into their rooms, Levi speaks up.

"So uh, Winter, do you wanna ally with me and Ben?" I press my lips together to stifle a laugh. He sounds so nervous just talking to her. However, Winter looks like she's considering it.

"Yeah, why not." she shrugs. "I guess it'll be a good idea for our district to stick together." I can almost see the childish grin on Levi's face.

"Great! We'll make an awesome team." Winter smiles and they continue to talk.

How's you home life? What's your favorite color? What do you do for fun? Why'd you volunteer?

It's been a half hour since they started talking. They seem to be getting along pretty well. I just hope I don't turn into the third wheel for the time we're here.

Levi starts telling her a story about me when we were in grade school. He mentions how I accidentally peed myself when the teacher wouldn't let me go to the bathroom. She starts laughing uncontrollably which puts a wide smile on his face.

Okay, my presence is literally nonexistent right now. Hello, guys? I'm still here!

"Ahem," I annunciate, clearly not trying to clear my throat. The two of them turn to look at me.

"Oh, I thought you went to bed." Levi says bluntly.

"I've been sitting right next to you this whole time."

"Right..."

"Okay," I stand up and clap my hands together. "So, official allies?" I stick out my hand in front of Winter. She grabs it and we shake.

"Allies."

↞↠

River's P.O.V. (D11)

"What weapons do you plan to use for training?"

Me and the rest of the guys from my district have decided to ally with each other. Together, four strong guys each with a physical advantage will probably make it far in the games.

"Well," Marcus begins, "I have practiced with spears a couple times before, so I'll probably pick that."

"I've never really used any weapons before, but maybe a sword would come in handy," Zeon adds.

"I'd probably want to try something long distance," Bo tells us. "It might be a good idea, especially if we're hiding from somewhere up above."

"If you mean hiding in trees, then I don't think that'll work," I start. "Especially not the four of us. You never know what the game makers could throw at us. And depending on the tree, it might not support four older, heavier guys. Even if we're not in trees, long distance weapons wouldn't really serve you well if we run into other tributes."