|65| Finalist Interviews - Part 3

Aurelia Tempersmith's P.O.V.

"Aurelius, that's madness. How are you going to pull off an arena like that with only twenty-four tributes? Are you crazy?"

My brother showed me a diagram of what the final arena is going to be. I'm in shock to say the least—it's never been done before in previous games.

I tap my foot, cross my arms and clench my jaw. "Did you come up with this?"

"Of course not!" He waves his hands in the air, exasperated. "Do you think I'd actually do something like this to these kids? It was the President's order."

"Course it would be," I mutter. "It seems like he's been making a lot of your decisions lately."

He just looks away and sighs. "Maybe it's because this year is a quarter quell."

"Or maybe because he knows somethings up." I raise an eyebrow. He stares at me for a while, but finally shakes his head.

"He can't possibly know. He may be bright, but he would never suspect a thing like this," My brother replies. "He doesn't have enough evidence to piece it together."

I glance around to my left and then to my right. We're currently in a very crowded and noisy coffee shop right outside of the auditorium doors. It's the best place to talk about these things—the President wouldn't expect us to discuss anything private in public.

But of course we have to keep hushed voices, just incase any of the Capitol citizens decide to eavesdrop. Luckily, everyone is engaged in their own conversations, laughing loudly, or drinking alcoholic beverages.

I check my watch and it reads 8:45. Fifteen more minutes.

"I think it's time for us to go," I tell my brother. "We'll discuss this later."

↞↠

"Welcome back everybody! I hope you had a good long break! It's now time to move on to our next group, so give it up for Winter Cross, Sapphire Calla, Levi Huffaker, Misty Jisondo, and Astrid Faintree!"

The five tributes happily walk on from backstage, some more happy than others.

"Hello you five! How are you guys all doing?" Most of them smile and with "good."

"Alright, let's begin shall we? I'd like to start with Misty from District 9. Is that okay?" She shakes her head yes.

"Okay! Now I'm pretty sure everyone was very surprised with your performance in that arena! You are quite the fighter, I must say. How did you and your alliance manage to stay in good shape for the majority of the time you were there?"

"Well you see Aurelia, we had some pretty good tactics up our sleeves and we were all strong enough to go to the cornucopia during the bloodbath. Combining three people with big brains seemed to get us really far." The audience hollers for her.

"I must say myself, you all did excellent! Now during the morning of the last day, you guys seemed to be in a bit of a pickle. What were you feeling as soon as the fire shot up from the ground?"

"I was very shocked, but also very angry. Because of that we lost all of our weapons and our water trying to put out the fire in Midnight's hair."

"Ah, yes. I remember that quite well," Her hands starts fidgeting. "This may seem like a...touchy subject, but speaking of Midnight—" Her hands ball into fists. I clear my throat. "Did you witness her death at all?"