|19| The Day Off

Vanellope's P.O.V. (D6)

Today is the second to last day before we go into the arena, so President Snow allowed us to do whatever we wanted to do today. But this morning, he had peacekeepers put trackers in our arms, just incase we try to escape.

I meet up with Pepper, Hope, and Katerina. We all run out of the building, excited as can be. It's nice to have some freedom after being locked in that building for four days straight. Since most of us will be dead in about a week or so, we get whatever we want for free today.

All of us run into the candy store like little children. We run into our fellow tributes, Cassidy and Jess. They're at a huge chocolate fountain and all of a sudden, this rather large Capitol man accidentally bumps into Jess, and his head lands in the fountain.

We burst out laughing and I can tell that Cassidy is trying to hold in her laughter. She helps Jess get out and he looks absolutely ridiculous. He tries to wipe the chocolate off of his face using his shirt. The chocolate hardens on his hair.

"Tough luck, Jess." Cassidy says.

"Real funny." he replies sarcastically.

Pepper and I get some lollipops and Hope and Katerina get some chocolate bars. We exit, wondering where to go to next.

↞↠

Holly's P.O.V. (D2)

Kostas and I are at a fair that the Capitol set up as a celebration for this year's hunger games. Kostas and I have played a bunch of fair games and now we're on the ferris wheel. So far, today has been really fun. I just wish we didn't have to go into the arena tomorrow. But I don't want to let Kostas down, so I act happy.

"It's really pretty from up here," I say to him. "We rarely get a view like this in District 2."

"Yeah," he agrees. "You know, the Capitol isn't as bad as I thought it was."

"How's that?"

"Well, I thought it would be all buildings and too many people, but most of the people here are pretty nice and the view is amazing." I nod in agreement.

"Hey, what time is it?" I ask him.

"I dunno. Probably one o'clock." he replies.

We get off the ferris wheel and walk around to find something to eat for lunch. Right before we leave the fair, I notice a huge, in-ground swimming pool in front of us. I smirk at Kostas.

"What?" he asks.

"Well, since today is our last day before we go into the arena, I thought we could have a little fun." Before he has time to question what I mean, I push him into the pool and proceed to run away.

I hear him shout from behind.

"You're gonna pay!" he yells while running after me.

The last thing I remember is getting a vague sense of deja vu from the day of the reaping before he catches up to me and throws me in the pool.

↞↠

Rust's P.O.V. (D1)

The rest of the career pack and myself are training on our day off. Yeah, I know. Why would we still be training?

Because we're not going to show any mercy in that arena. There's no such thing as too much training.

We got permission to go to the training floor, and as expected, we're the only ones here. Most of us are training but a few of us aren't. Crystal and Phoenix are discussing what we're going to do about the goods from the cornucopia after we claim it and strategizing our camp set up.