|06| Reaping D6

Chance's P.O.V.

I wake up super early today because I'm pumped. Today is reaping day! I've been waiting my whole life to volunteer and become the victor, bringing glory to my district.

As you may know, District 6 doesn't have many victors, so I plan to change that. However, I want the popularity and money more.

I go into my backyard and start practicing with the sword my dad got me for my birthday. Fresh from District 2. I can pretty much use any weapon with accuracy. I just don't use knives. They're too small.

I pick up a spear and aimlessly throw it at my dummy. Bullseye right in the heart. I take a dagger and start swinging it at my mom's tree.

"Chance! Not the branches!" my mom screams at me.

I roll my eyes and continue to practice with my weapons. I have three spears, two swords and two daggers. It's actually illegal to practice before going into the hunger games, but the weak district 6 peacekeepers fear me, so they let me be.

My parents want me to win because we're poor as dirt. They want a house in the victors village so they can brag to everyone and have good food to eat. Like I said, I want the money so we can actually be rich.

I pick up a sword and throw it at my dummy. Yes, I can throw swords. It sticks into the head and I smirk. I'm much better at training than the careers will ever be. I throw a few more spears and head inside to eat breakfast.

Once I go inside my house, my little six year old sister sees me and scampers upstairs, frightened. She's scared me because I always scare her. Pathetic.

I look at her and laugh. Then I go to my room and change. I don't have too much to wear, only a couple of nice, clean shirts and black pants. I go with a red shirt and I slip on my black pants. I comb my hair back and put in a little gel. Then I go back outside and train until I have to leave for the reaping.

↞↠

Vanellope's P.O.V.

"Here you go, Mittens." I coo at my cat as I give him a bowl of warm milk. I stroke his black fur for a while until my mom calls me to head on downstairs to eat breakfast. My twin brother, Jackson, is there, eating a bowl of fruit. Our parents are out shopping so it's just me and him.

"Are you nervous?" I ask him.

"Well, kinda. The only thing we're good at is running." he replies sadly.

That is true. We've had no experience using weapons and we can only run and hide. We're both only 4'8. Very small for our age. I'm super skinny and my ribs are visible. I mean, we have food on our table, but I do better without eating. I'd rather have my family eat when they're starving. I can go for a week and still be okay, for the most part.

Before I can head on upstairs to change, our parents walk in. "Vanellope! Jackson! Guess what? We got you presents!" my mom exclaims happily. Jackson and I just stare at each other. We only get gifts on our birthday. My dad hands me a purple bag and my mom hands Jackson a small box.

I look inside my bag and gasp. I sneak a glance at Jackson to see his mouth hung wide open. He must've gotten something really nice. I look at what's in front of me with awe.

It's a dress i've never seen before. I hold it up to my chest, completely and utterly in love with it. It's silver and it goes down a little below my knees, puffing out towards the bottom. It's the most beautiful dress I have ever seen. I look over to Jackson and I see a bracelet that's gold with his name engraved in it. We simultaneously attack our parents with hugs and they they laugh.