Chapter 37

"I'm so thrilled for tomorrow night! I've already bought tickets for both of us. I can't wait." Obi squealed from the other end of the line. He sounded excited, so excited that Oma wished she could teleport herself back to school at that moment.

"Obi, I'm really really sorry. I decided to go home, I'm at home right now. I promise I'll make it up to you when I get back?" She pleaded.

"You forgot?" He sounded so disappointed. "You said you'll come with me tomorrow. You promised! What am I supposed to do now? I really put a lot of thought into this. I was also hoping we could go somewhere else after then." He said, and Oma felt herself shrinking at every word.
Sadly, the truth was that she hadn't forgotten. She'd had it in mind but the truth was that she didn't want to go. It was a photography convention, something she had no interest in, but it didn't mean she couldn't have done it. Spending time with Asa's mother had made her yearn for hers.

"Obi. I am so so so sorry. It just came up and I decided to see my mum. I didn't do it in on purpose. I promise I just forgot. I'll surely make it up to you." She pleaded. " Besides, when you haven't seen your mum in months, you'll surely want to see her, won't you?" She said and her heart pounded as she counted the seconds Obi didn't answer. Why had she said that last sentence. Unlike her, he could never see his own mother again.

"It's okay." He said after a while. "So who on earth am I supposed to go with now?" He asked in a light voice and her heart beat came back to normal. He was back to being playful again.

"You can take Nathi." She said and he didn't answer immediately. She'd just asked him to ask Nathi because she was sure Nathi would never agree to that. The next day would be Sunday. She probably had a party or a random man she was visiting.

But she'd gone with him the last time. She'd even offered to go with him when Oma bailed on him.

"Ok. I'll ask her." He said. "Make sure you come back tonight. The program ends tomorrow and I'll really enjoy it with you better. We also have a lot of reading to do. You sound sleepy, so goodnight. Greet your mum too. Be happy you can still see her."
He cut the call before she could even say goodnight back.

******

The sun shining brightly on her face woke her up to a cheery mood. She sat up and rubbed her face and noticed for the first time how different her large dully decorated room was compared to the one in her boarding house. She still felt bad for ditching Obi on purpose, but the wouldn't stop her from taking a break from school and finding herself.

"Oma!" Nia's loud but deep voice thundered from downstairs. Oma had always thought their house was unnecessarily big. Most of her free days had been spent cleaning it and whenever she wasn't around, Nia completely left the upper part of the house to wither with dust. She was home for only two days on something that could probably pass as a vacation. Nothing would make her clean the house.

"I'm coming." She said and sleepily made her way downstairs.

They had cereal and milk for breakfast. Yes, cereal.
Nia was someone who ate as light as possible but still had the body of a glutton. Not being around much made her settle for easily prepared dishes and depend on ordering heavier meals from restaurants. Sure enough, Oma had grown up without knowing how to cook and without having any need for it either. She still ordered foods whenever Femi didn't show up or when she insulted them too much. Asa too also ordered occasionally with her, whenever she wasn't trying to keep her body fit enough for her sports.

"Ugh." She groaned and equally lost her appetite. Asa and her whole family issue had come to her mind.

"What is it?" Nia asked her.