Chapter 42 - Truth

Gary
***

My apartment was stuffy and littered, but I had no time to tidy up if I wanted to get to Chris' apartment in time for lunch. Well, technically Chris and Ali's apartment, although that idea was still strange to me. As far as I knew, legally the apartment was solely his, and as it should. After what went down with my sister I learned it was always a good idea to—

I'm getting distracted. I need to leave.

I opened the windows to let fresh air in. I couldn't do much about the state of cleaning, but that would probably help get the smell out at least. It didn't help that Colin's fur was everywhere or that I was a bit careless when it came to cleaning his paws when coming back from walks.

Maybe I should take a bottle of wine or something like that. Yeah, they'd appreciate it.

I walked to the kitchen and investigated the cupboards, taking in the mess of dishes in the sink. I had to take care of that eventually. As I looked through the cabinets, I got distracted by the different sauces and spices I found along the way, deciding to take them out and place them on the counter so I could organize them later that day. Colin tried to grab them with his mouth, so I moved the bottles away from the edge.

Focus, the wine!

I managed to find a bottle and took it without checking if it was any good. Who cared if the wine was cheap anyway? All the wine connoisseurs were a bunch of liars to me. In all my exhibition's opening nights I never served super expensive wines and everyone gave me compliments saying I have excellent taste. Jokes on them because I always asked the catering team for the second cheapest wine to be served to save hundreds of bucks. Losers.

With everything ready, I put on Colin's leash and walked out the door with him, remembering to fetch my keys. Last time I forgot them inside my apartment I had to call the fire department to help me. That was embarrassing.

As I locked the door, my phone vibrated in my back pocket. I unlocked it to find Chris had texted me.

Maybe they had changed their mind and didn't want me to take Colin after all. They had already met him at the park and loved him, but I understood if they didn't want to sacrifice the cleanliness of their apartment.

I was surprised when the text I got had nothing to do with my new dog.

CHRIS: Everything we'll be discussing today is completely new to you. If you remember anything, you don't. Reply with a yes if you understand.

I stopped in the middle of the stairs, completely confused by the text. What the hell did that mean?

KENT: Was this message for me?

CHRIS: Yes Kent. Do as I say, it's important. If any of what we're gonna tell you rings a bell, pretend you don't know. I'll explain later.

When I got the invitation for lunch I didn't think much of it, maybe that it was an excuse to play with my new puppy (no one could resist him) but now my motivation to get to Chris' apartment increased considerably. My curiosity got the best of me, making me sprint down the stairs to uncover what the hell those cryptic messages meant.

What the hell did Chris ask me to pretend I didn't know? And why didn't he just call me to explain? Did he want to keep something from Ali? Oh my God, were they gonna ask me to do something for their wedding and he didn't want me to say anything about Barbara? Were they mad at me for whatever reason? Did Chris tell Ali that it was my idea for them to share their past with each? Were they breaking up?

Shit. Whatever it was, I was in for some real tea.

I drove to Chris' house and rang the doorbell, holding on tightly to Colin's leash. I wasn't let in as fast as usual, waiting for about two minutes outside in the cold. I checked my reflection in the mirror, combing my hair with my fingers to tame the somewhat long strands. I had to get a haircut, I was tired of dealing with it even though I knew some girl liked that disheveled look. It was very much on brand for me and it actually matched Colin's fur, so maybe I could rock it for a few more weeks.