Chapter 39 - New Rules

Christopher
***

Conferences were always exciting. Even though I was usually nervous leading up to them, when I arrived at the venue and greeted scholars and Think Tank representatives that I knew, I relaxed and was reminded why I was there.

Mr Turner always managed to convince me to go and prepare a presentation with him, even if the date landed just a month after exam week. I had a feeling that, at his advanced age, he used me as a clutch to make himself appear like he was still in his prime, and honestly, I didn't mind at all. In the beginning of my career Mr Turner was pivotal in promoting me as a respectable academic, and we had become sort of a package in the research world: in all our publications, our names were always connected one way or another, even if just in the bibliography.

However, unlike all past conferences I had been invited to, this was different. This time I wasn't just coming off the exhaustion of grading exams, I had a plus one. Ali asked me if she could come, and even though at the time of the invitation we were both drowning in work (and with an impaired sense of judgement) we both agreed it was a good idea.

I had been nervous before walking in, but once my colleagues greeted both of us warmly I knew I'd made the right decision in having Ali accompany me. I felt like a million bucks with her by my side.

"I was expecting to find only old, white men," Ali commented quietly so only I could hear close to the beverages table. "I'm surprised to see so many women and guys your age in academia."

"You know what they say about this field," I whispered back. "Those who don't become artists teach it."

She hid her smile behind her drink, taking the mimosa to her lips.

"I don't know what you mean Dr Damon," she said with a naughty twinkle in her eyes. "You're a wonderful artist... At least in one setting I'm sure you are."

I also took a sip of my mimosa to hide the indecent smile creeping on my face. She knew exactly what to say to turn me on just a little bit.

"Hopefully you mean on stage," I replied, bringing up the presentation I was about to give with Mr Turner in less than ten minutes.

Before Ali could reply, Dr Garnett, a colleague from a neighbouring university approached us. I had known the guy for a few years now and even though we studied different subjects, he was commonly invited to Evergreen as a guest speaker and the students seemed to like his presentations.

"Dr Damon, nice to see you," he said, extending his hand for a handshake. "And nice to see you're accompanied by a lovely lady this time."

Ali extended her hand politely, smiling with closed lips.

"Nice to see you, too. This is Alison Bardot, my fiancée," I replied, observing their exchange.

"I'm Head of Communications at Art Press USA," Ali added, ever so slightly changing into that corporate tone she'd mastered. "So I'm here both for leisure and work."

"Art Press is a great publication," Dr Garnett replied. "Hopefully you'll be inspired by the guest speakers tonight."

Ali then glanced at me. "I do hope so, too."

I was pleased Dr Garnett hadn't commented or asked about how we two met. It was clear looking at Ali that she was younger than me, but her respectable title made her seem older. On top of that, for these types of public events she always dressed in a way to showcase her high position at Art Press, so actually her age didn't seem out of the ordinary. If anything, people commented on her great skin and that was it.