Chapter 33 - Shoebox

Alison
***

I didn't leave Chris' side for a second the moment we stepped inside the house. I was overwhelmed, to say the least, by my family's enthusiasm as they greeted us, so I could only imagine how he was feeling. Thank God my mom was there to help me facilitate introductions or else I would've been flustered.

I wasn't concerned that my extended family wouldn't like Chris. I couldn't care less about their opinion, but I did want him to feel welcomed and like he belonged. I knew it was an ambitious goal, but I wanted to return to the US with the feeling that he was completely integrated into the family.

I knew my grandma would have a strong influence in this matter. I really wanted her to like Chris because if she did, chances were the rest of the family would. My stomach fell when she complained that Chirs didn't speak French, but soon relaxed when she made the little joke by pinching his nose. It was actually quite funny and I felt that Chris also relaxed when she engaged with him playfully. It certainly helped break the ice.

We stayed in the living room for a few more minutes before my mom reminded us that we needed to take our luggage upstairs. As the owner of the house, my grandma took the lead as she took us to our bedroom, or so I thought.

"Ali, you'll stay with your cousins and Christopher will stay in the room at the end of the corridor," she said to me in French. "Fresh towels are already at the foot of your beds but if you need more they're downstairs in the laundry."

I looked at Chris, expecting him to have a reaction, but he didn't understand a word. He just stood politely beside us.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Uhm, why do I have to stay with my cousins?" I asked, trying to hide my discomfort with the decision to split us up.

"What do you mean?" My grandma said. "You'll stay in the room you always stay in. Christopher get's the spare room."

I wasn't comfortable at all with this arrangement. I looked at my mom for support but she didn't say anything.

"But Grandma, he's my fiancé," I tried to explained. Thank god Chris wasn't understanding a thing. "We're not kids."

"Ali, don't be difficult," my mom interjected.

"When you get married you can share a bedroom, not before," my grandma said finally, putting an end to the conversation.

Then Chris spoke up.

"Is everything okay?" He asked, noticing the tension. Since my grandma couldn't understand him, she kept on walking down the corridor to take us to our respective rooms.

I was aware of my grandma's religious beliefs, but I didn't think she'd be this strict.

Ignoring Chris' question since I could explain later, I turned to my mom and spoke in english.

"Mom, I asked you specifically to make sure we stayed together. What happened?"

My mom seemed flustered. "I did my best, but everyone already had assigned rooms. We couldn't separate your aunts and uncles, they had already arrived..."

"Oh, is this about rooms?" Chris intervened. "It's totally fine. I'll sleep wherever you put me."

His relaxed and calm state put me at ease. I didn't want him to feel uncomfortable by sleeping on his own, but if he was okay with it then I guess I could suck it up.

First we went to the bedroom where I'd sleep with my cousins. There were three single beds, one for each, as well as an old heavy drawer we shared. My bed was the one next to the window so I just left my luggage there to unpack later.