Chapter 29 - Brand New Summers

*five days later*

Corey and I were in his car, singing along horribly to a sick song on the radio on our way to school. Halfway there, and my phone started blaring heavy drums. I picked it up, confused, before realising that it was my ringtone. My father was calling me. 

I motioned for Corey to lower the radio volume and swiped to answer the call. "Aveline?" My dad said, in his unfamiliar calm tone of voice. He never really talked to me. 

"Surprised you remember my name," I retorted, glancing at Corey's concerned face as he drove. 

"Where are you?" 

"Uh," I paused, not knowing if he was serious. "School?" 

"Well, you need to not be there. Your mother is going into labor and we're in the hospital. Join us now or in a few hours once the thing pops outta her," He said, acting as if everything were totally normal. 

I put my phone on speaker at that point, just so Corey could hear the ludacris conversation. "What the fuck!? Why aren't you helping her?" 

"What am I supposed to do, can't very well push the baby out for her," My father scoffed, acting like a total dick. I sighed, hanging up at his bullshit before addressing Corey with the situation. 

"My mom's in labor now apparently. A day early but it'll be fine. Think you can swing me over to the hospital quick before you head to school?" I sent him a half smile, hoping that Corey would comply. Immediately, he perked up and was ready to go. 

"Which one? I'll stay with you if you want. I don't have anything important going on today," He grinned at me, allowing me to show him the way. The radio was turned back up the over-excited guy, and soon he was singing along cheerily once again. 

On the other side of things, I was feeling mildly nauseous. I had no idea what to expect having a new baby sibling, and especially didn't want to help take care of it. Along with that, my father was being a total asshole and probably wouldn't do any work at all towards the fucking thing. Hell, he wouldn't even be in the same room as my mom while she was in labor. 

Corey and I arrived at the hospital quickly, getting out of his little black car and rushing inside. he speed-walked to the front desk, me slowly traveling behind him (I didn't really care to keep up). He spoke to the lady, voice shaking in the slightest from all the emotions filling him up. "Where is Patricia Summers right now? We know she's in labor but we just want to be there when the baby is born." 

I was remaining entirely calm when the lady responded sweetly. "Who are you to Mrs. Summers?"

"I'm her daughter," I spoke up. The woman nodded to Corey, who seemed to be at a loss for words. "This is my uh, boyfriend?" 

She nodded and told us where to go, so I grabbed Corey's hand and dragged him through the halls quickly in order for him to not confront me about my most recent lie. Too bad for me, though, because as we ran, he panted out, "Boyfriend, huh?" 

"Shut the hell up, Cunty," I breathed in retaliation. "You know I was just trying to get us there." 

He smirked as we kept running, up two flights of stairs and down another hallway. Eventually, it turned into a grin as we arrived at her room. Through the almost sound-proof walls, I could screaming and yelling coming inside from my mother. 

"Go inside if you feel like it," I heard a voice say from behind me. Corey and I whipped around at the same time, to see my dad sitting on the floor and leaning against the wall opposite the room where my mother was. He had his phone out in front of him, but was looking up at us.