Chapter 27 - Water Balloons

*three days later* 

Lunchtime that Monday, and all anyone could talk about was that stupid school dance. Celine was counting down the days (only five more to go) and girls were coming to our table every other minute to ask out one of the guys. 

I, on the other hand, was eating grumpily and speaking to no one. I finished my food, standing up to dump my tray, when I noticed Samantha and Hazel exchange a glance across the table. I shrugged it off, of course, and went to the trash. Upon turning around after I dumped, I was met with the two girls standing next to each other awkwardly. They exchanged no eye contact. 

"We want to talk to you, without the newest members of our friend group involved," Hazel announced quietly. I scrunched my eyebrows together, but followed them nonetheless when they began walking out of the cafeteria. 

"Newest members? We all became friends like three months ago," I retorted. 

Sam looked over her shoulder at me, giving me her usual sassy raised eyebrows. "Shut up, Aveline." 

Soon enough, we arrived at the staircase I used to skip class in. It was hidden in the back corner of the school, so no teachers would interrupt the what I imagined to be a very serious conversation we were about to have. Sam plopped down to the floor, which Hazel slowly mimicked. I remained standing next to them until she tugged on the end of my ripped jeans. 

I sighed and also took a seat, watching them intently for someone to make the first move. Finally, Sam spoke up, "We're not getting back together, despite me taking Hazel to prom." 

Samantha's voice was low and cold, almost like she was holding back all of the emotions she had pent up inside her. I nodded as both of them stared at the old carpet floor. 

"I just can't take her back. I'll feel like I'm not enough," Hazel murmured. Sam perked up at that, facing her almost immediately and looking her ex girlfriend in the eyes. 

"You never said that!" She said in surprise. "You will always be enough! Whoever ends up with you, girl, boy, or other, are gonna be lucky as shit." 

Sam's gaze returned back to the floor in front of her, not noticing the small smile Hazel sent her. "Thanks, Sammy," She said, so quiet it was almost a whisper. 

"Done?" I questioned once they were silent again. "Is that all?" 

Hazel shook her head as Sam spoke once again. "We were talking a little bit over the weekend and started talking about how we just kind of miss hanging out just us three. So, like, we should do that sometime." 

"How's Celine gonna feel about that?" I asked in reply, raising my eyebrows just like Sam had done. 

"Since when do you care?" She responded with a sly smirk, standing up from her spot on the stained carpet. Reaching out a swift hand, she helped Hazel up. I followed their actions just when the bell rang, notifying us of the end of lunch. We then all separated once again. 

€£€£€£€

*two days later*

Corey and I walked into the parking lot after school on Wednesday (three more days to prom), like usual. We were only two steps from his little black car when something flew past my head. 

"Dammit, I missed!" I heard a familiar, but insanely annoying voice call out. 

"June, get away from Corey's car!" I shouted, watching as her and the rest of her wannabe pack of friends stood up from the other side of the vehicle. June gestured to Julia, who handed her another small round item. Before I could prepare, she had chucked it at my head and water exploded everywhere.